Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Warning - ramble ahead!

It really is. Case in point. I live in beautiful NYC. I love it here. But like most here, I am still somewhat scarred from the events of Sep. 11th. I had a FedEx package waiting for me at the Towers that I was too lazy to pick up, and I was planning a party for a friend at Windows on the World on Sep 13th (hence the unpickedup package). So I feel very lucky not to have been in the area that day, especially since two of my neighbors, and several friends, co-workers, acquaintances and faces at local bars (including 10 firemen next to where I work) were not so lucky.

Now, last week, I walk out to get some tea in the late afternoon, you know, take a break from things, enjoy the beautiful fall weather. Just gorgeous.
Next thing I know, across the street, this scaffolding falls down and kills 5 people, injuring several others. Holy fkucfking $^&* says I. Mayhem ensues.

Earlier today, I go out for another afternoon drink of tea. I'm about to cross the street (with the lite for once) when I hear some large vehicle screaming out of control. Next thing I know there's a huge CRASH of glass, people screaming, a wheelchair spinning on its side, and a large SUV now sitting backwards (!) in Circuit City on the corner!! Holy fkucfking $^&* says I. Mayhem ensues. Moron was probably on a cell phone.

I don't know about you, but I'm starting to feel that afternoon tea is a bad idea. Until...

A friend (good, very good!) calls me just now as I am sipping my brew. He has two Knicks tickets tomorrow night against the Wizards. He can't use EITHER of them and gives them to me. Gratis for crying out loud.
Damn! If #23 drops another double-nickle on the Knicks, I might just achieve nirvana on the spot. Especially if the Yankees win as well.

I guess the question to the class is, am I lucky? Should I start playing lotto immediately? Should I fly to Vegas right now and put it all on the pass line? Should I not go out for afternoon tea ever again?

And more importantly, who the heck do I invite to see Jordan without pissing off the rest of the known universe? Cos I know at least a dozen people, male and female, who are going to be pissed for about a year if I don't invite them. Oh well. Let the contest begin, I guess.

cheers,

Naj

ps I wonder where this fits on the random distribution curve of life. Pretty far freaking out is my guess. I don't think I'd even sell myself insurance at this point.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 7
<<I don't know about you, but I'm starting to feel that afternoon tea is a bad idea. >>

Well, if you're gay, it's OK. Otherwise, yeah, bad idea.

-chris
No. of Recommendations: 0
who the heck do I invite to see Jordan without pissing off the rest of the known universe?

Me. I'm a long time Bulls fan, videotaped the title games from 5 of the 6 Bulls championships (didn't have a VCR for the first), and only was able to see Jordan in person once in my life. I'm still a Bulls fan, but Jordan is Jordan, even if he's older and slower (and less "Air"-borne) than in days gone by. And I can be in New York on extremely short notice.

Then again, given the way things are going around you, maybe something is aiming for you every time you step outside of your home, and the tickets are just an expensive lure to get you to venture out.

Whatever you do, enjoy the game.

-synchronicity
No. of Recommendations: 1

Then again, given the way things are going around you, maybe something is aiming for you every time you step outside of your home, and the tickets are just an expensive lure to get you to venture out.

Yeah, I know. But who is it? I hope I haven't pissed off Allah recently.
Maybe I should start wearing a veil...
Naj

ps Why me, Lord? Where have I gone wrong? I've always been nice to people! I don't drink or dance or swear! I've even kept kosher just to be on the safe side! I've done everything the Bible says; even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff! What more could I do?

-- N.F.

No. of Recommendations: 0
Why me, Lord? Where have I gone wrong? I've always been nice to people! I don't drink or dance or swear! I've even kept kosher just to be on the safe side! I've done everything the Bible says; even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff! What more could I do?

In Thomas Pynchon's incredible novel Gravity's Rainbow, which takes place in London during the WWII blitz, there is a character who beds numerous wenches. And every location at which he makes love is later hit by a V2 rocket. Truth stranger than fiction?

No. of Recommendations: 1
In Northern Exposure, one of the best television series ever aired, Maggie's boyfriends always ended up dying in freak accidents. One was even hit by a falling satellite.

You've never dated a charter pilot from Grosse Pointe who lived in Alaska have you?

Rick