No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,

This post is a little different from retirement investing, but I wanted to poll an older audience, and see if anyone has any information that could help me.

My mother almost died in a fire caused by a liftchair in her home.

Liftchairs are designed for elderly people who have trouble getting out of their chair, due to arthritis, hip/knee replacements, etc. If the motor should malfunction or short out, the person could be stuck in the chair, unless there is someone around who could help pull them out. Unfortunately, if there is a fire, the evidence needed to prove product liability may be destroyed in the fire.

I am researching the safety of liftchairs, and am looking for any information about similar fire incidences. I am hoping to instigate a product recall, or at least a warning like the ones put out for airbags.

Does anyone know of similar incidences, or know of any websites where I might be able to find such information? Please email me if you have a substantive message.

Thanks for your help.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.