Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 24
Am I the only one that sees this as a disaster not unlike the fiasco of changing the Coke formula? Can TMF recognize it for what it is (a change that will destroy brand loyalty and market share) and respond as Coke did by bringing back Classic Coke?

The answer will, in the intermediate term, have more impact on whether TMF remains in business than any savings from the change to CBS/MW ever will.

I'm afraid TMF has broken a cardinal rule of business: Know your customer. Judging from many of the posts here, I would guess that I am not alone in saying that I have bought into most of the MF credos and have followed them through use of the tools available on the site. I chose to use BuyandHold.com because of my investing philosophy developed through reading TMF. I opened my B&H account by clicking through on TMF site so that TMF would get credit for the sale. I purchase regularly as TMF suggests. I have all my positions set for dividend reinvestment as TMF suggests. That TMF would buy into a port tracking service that doesn't allow for easily entering purchases/sales of fractional shares or drips is absolutely mind boggling.

TMF owned a rather large niche with the "Classic My Portfolio" and because of it enjoyed massive numbers of users. I am afraid what they will see quite soon is that they have correctly identified the problem (cash flow), but incorrectly identified the solution (cut costs). I, for one, would gladly pay a reasonable monthly fee ($5-10/mo) for use of the portfolio tracker (provided that it was useful as the "Classic Port" was). I believe that TMF's solution should have been to increase revenues rather than cut costs (at least in this manner).

I would be interested in knowing how many of you consider the "Classic My Portfolio" as the primary reason you use TMF. What percentage of your online time at TMF is spent on the My Portfolio page or a link accessed from My Portfolio? How many of you have already tried cnet.com, clearstation.com or another site planning to ditch TMF as your port tracker?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.