Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
So you folks like Iomega? Let me tell you my experience with them.

I have just assembled a new system; dual pentium II 266 MHz, 128 Meg Ram, 6.4 Gig HD, IDE Zip drive...well, you get the picture. I put an Iomega Ditto 2Gig tape drive on the system to back up "my stuff".

Now, this box runs Windows NT 4.0, and I have had to go out on the web to get NT drivers for about all the hardware I installed - including the Ditto.

Well, I got all the drivers I needed (including the IDE Zip drive) with no problem, except for the Ditto.

Iomega wanted $19.95 plus shipping for two disks with NT drivers for Ditto. Well, I had a problem with that, but they had me over a barrel so I bought the disks.

Then I tried to install Linux on the system (as another operating system) and SOMETHING HAPPENED. Suffice to say, my system died to the point where it wouldn't even boot. After much effort, I got it to boot only to find I had a corrupted HD. Well, no problem. I had a brand new Ditto and a current backup tape. I reinstalled NT, installed the Ditto drivers, clicked on Restore, and went to bed (at 4:30 in the AM)

Imagine my surprise when I checked the next morning, and found that the Ditto driver had crashed without restoring. I fiddled with it a bit and concluded that the Ditto driver didn't work on restore, period, end of debate.

I called Iomega. After wandering through the maze of computer generated voice menus, I finally got a person in tech support. He wouldn't talk to me until I gave him a credit card number to pay for tech support (although they promised not to bill me if the problem was theirs). I was on the phone with this guy for an hour. I did all the things he wanted me to do, and in the end, he concluded that I had some bad software.

Well, duh!

He gave me an RMA number and transferred me to the RMA department, where the girl took my mailing information and informed me that my replacement disks would be shipped in one to three days by 2 day UPS.

Vesuvius erupted on my end! I need that backup NOW. Let me ftp the drivers in. My system is down; my business expansion is halted; I need to move on; I need this box NOW TODAY!

Iyamverreeesorryyysir. Our system takes one to 3 days to process your RMA.

Well, it is a new system. Not much data on it yet (though there was some). After spending about 7 more hours on it, I had reloaded all the packages and drivers, and had it running again. I mean, it wasn't like I had any important business to take care of or anything. And after all, when you don't have a tape backup system, if you crash you have to reload the whole system manually, right? My fault for not having a tape backup.

Waitaminute! I had a tape backup...I thought. It was a Ditto from Iomega. My parachute was installed and ready to carry me to a soft landing in the event of a crash, right?

I guess not. The parachute failed. And the manufacturer was exactly no help, after skinning me for the drivers in addition to the hardware.

I had been considering buying Iomega stock. After this experience? NOT! As a rule of thumb, I don't buy the stock of a company that gives poor service.

I will replace the Iomega Ditto with a Conner...a drive that works with NT and is supported properly by the manufacturer.

Iomega is now on my list, and that list is black.

Jim Locker
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.