Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Likely it is more "can't hire enough people for what I'm willing to pay".

Minimum wage hasn't kept pace with inflation, and restaurant workers have a lower wage than that. I think people aren't willing to tolerate that anymore.

The sandwich shop that 1poorkid used to work in actually paid a decent wage, and when you paid there was no space to include a tip. Some customers still insisted on tipping, but the kids did their work without it in part because they were paid a reasonable wage for the work (roughly $15/hr). I encountered a donut shop guy yesterday that made the off-hand comment (I forget the precise context, but it was meant as sarcastic humor) about the joys of working for 4-something per hour. People are less willing to endure that.

I think the minimum wage should be the same for all workers, and that restaurants shouldn't be allowed to rely on tips to make wages. If someone wants to tip, fine. But workers' earnings shouldn't be predicated on that. In fact, tips are racist. They have their origins when black and white servers would work in the same place. The employer couldn't discriminate on the wages, so the "tip" was invented so customers could offer more for the white workers while keeping the black workers underpaid. Of course, they could tip the black servers as well. But they usually didn't.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.