Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
I earlier posted that we're not fond of the idea of taking a cruise, despite what some poll apparently claimed.

What do other retired folks like (and dislike)?

I'll start by adding to my previous post. We obviously prefer peace and quiet. We dislike crowds and noise, we dislike cities in general, and we don't even enjoy movie theaters because it always seems as if someone around us will feel a need to talk to someone during the film -- or play with one of those damned little screens! We don't smoke, and my wife doesn't drink at all, while I may enjoy a single drink or ale once or twice a month, so bars are obviously not our thing.

We each enjoy reading the newspaper and a good book or magazine. A few TV shows are on the "likes" list, though not many, and preferably recorded on the DVR, so we can skip through the endless moronic ads. Living where we do, we enjoy watching the birds and animals around us, and some of the nice sunsets. We usually turn in fairly early and get up early in the morning. My wife is a great cook, so she often makes fresh muffins or something for breakfast to go with her tea and my coffee. (Her dinners are also fabulous, and, having been together for many years, it seems our tastes have come to pretty much be alike.) Our primary "splurge" is usually eating our bigger meal at noon, often out in a restaurant. Our evening meal is usually on the light side.

As a longtime ham radio operator, I sometimes enjoy getting on the air and playing in contests, chasing "DX" (foreign stations), or chatting with other hams, usually on Morse code, since I'm very proficient and can use the code as comfortably as speaking English.

Calls to/from and getting together with close friends or family are always welcome, of course.

What do others like or dislike?

We think one good aspect of being older like we are is the freedom to do what we please!

Vermonter
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.