Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi - Let's say I have a stock that has performed well and I've held it for a couple of years. It's made a double and then some. I'd like to hold it longer to see if it keeps climbing, but don't want to lose the gains I have. So if I place a limit order to sell at say 10% less than it's current value, will that cause the value to drop because someone sees a cheap buy opportunity? Is that a good plan to protect value earned? I've had stocks that I've held long term only to see a bad month wipe out years of gains. How long do you keep a stock that has performed well and what signs tell me to dump it?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
A good question,but I don’t see that anyone will see your 10% and also it takes big shifts for prices to fluctuate. Would also be interested in views, personally I would favor a 20% drop before selling, in the hope that if there is a big drop you have the opportunity to buy back?
No. of Recommendations: 1
Unless this is a very thinly traded penny stock and you hold hundreds of thousands of shares, you limit order is not goin to move the market.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Iowa,

Be careful when posting to the world limited orders to sell a stock. All limited orders are posted on the boards or all MM's (money marketers) to see and to come down and steal your stocks. They then turn around and sell the stock at a later date or time.

It is best to have a mental stop-loss order in mind. It is best to have a Sell Market order at the ready.

read the below for "how to" signs of buying and selling a stock that a Seventh grader and do with 2 simple sets of instructions. That simple.

An Answer below to one of your old questions concerning LQDT

re: https://www.barchart.com/stocks/quotes/LQDT/interactive-char...

your choices are swing trade per the 13 over 34 (green over red lines).

or LQDT should have been sold on 9/13/19 to help protect your ASSets and then buy back in on 10/15/19. that simple.

Something to ponder

Quillnpenn - a poor church mouse scratching for a living as a swing trader.