Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I have noticed a lot of conversation lately about how gorilla price gains are occuring earlier and earlier, making it an advantage to try to enter the market prior to when a gorilla game is obvious, thus the gorilla "candidate" term.

I have limited funds to invest in new stocks, and am trying to determine how to weigh what the best growth opportunity stock is. I am only 27, so I have some time to kill, and I am trying to get into some good gorillas or gorilla candidates before they meet Cisco's market cap.

I tried measuring these (3) criteria:
1. % down from this year's high (1 is highest)
2. size of market cap (1 is lowest)
3. % of growth already this year (1 is lowest)

My little theory is that is that figuring out these numbers can give me at least the short-term (1 year) best gain potential and the long-term (5-10 years) most room for overall growth.

Feel free to tell me what a horrible yardstick these tools are, or in how I am misapplying them.

Anyway, the results are as follows, using this list of companies....

BLDP (8)
RMBS (11)
ELON (16)
CREE (17)
LHSP (18)
(CRA)(19)biotech obviously, but thought I would throw it in.
CTXS (21)
GMST (23)
SCMR (23)
SEBL (25)
RBAK (26)
ITWO (26)
PMCS (30)
BRCD (33)
JNPR (39)

This did not take me very long, but if you think I just wasted my time and yours, and that I should have just rented a movie from Blockbuster...please tell me now.

I would love to be set straight on why this is a useful or nonsensical way of narrowing choices for investment.

Thanks,
Aridian
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.