Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Linda: I did a spreadsheet on Starbucks and got different results for the Balance Sheet section ... I didn't include Checks drawn in excess of bank balances
as short term debt... maybe should have.

TMFTribe: That is a darn good question, and I'm afraid I still don't have an answer as to how this amount should be interpreted. I dug through several of their previous 10-Q and 10-K filings, and I couldn't find one reference that would give any sort of inkling about how this value should be treated. Therefore, I fired off an e-mail to Starbucks' Investor Relations department this morning to get the answer "from the horse's mouth". I'll let you know when they get back to me.

NOTE: I didn't indicate that I was from the TMF, so this may also be a good indication of how responsive their IR department is to the "average Joe".

Well, I heard back from Starbucks' Investor Relations department today, and we finally have an answer concering the "Checks Drawn in Excess of Bank Balances" item on the SEC filings. This is what they had to say:

Thank you for your interest in Starbucks Coffee Company. The figures in the
annual report you mentioned refer to checks the Company had written that had
not yet been cashed by the recipient at the time of filing of the annual
report. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Sarah Harlett
Investor Relations
Starbucks Coffee Company
investorrelations@starbucks.com

Therefore, it looks like you did the right thing by excluding this item from the debt calculations, because this value does not seem to involve any sort of interest payment.

Also, I'd like to comment on the quick response time I received from Starbucks (only two business days, since my original query was submitted on a Saturday). That shows to me that they care about their potential investors by going out of their way to answer a seemingly insignificant query. That's definitely a refreshing sight. Kudos to you SBUX!

Just my two humble cents.

the LanceMan
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.