Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Unfortunately, none of the Linux personal finance packages are exactly what I want,
so I'd probably wind up writing that as well. Moneydance, cbb, xquote, and xinvest
would all be things I'd look at in some detail before I started; I've found the gnucash
code to be inscrutable and have never been able to get gnucash stable on my
systems."

Why not combine some? There is moneydance, a good personal finance program that
I myself use. Lets you manage multiple accounts of all different varieties. I'm sure
some of the others do that as well, altho I can only vouch for Moneydance. Then
there's a variety of stock ticker apps for Linux. Combine the two, and you have a
manual entry method of what you're looking for. Then, perhaps write a middleman app,
or modify both apps to work with plugin systems, to do it automatically.

I'd even wager that this would be a good way for TMF to enter the open-source world
;)

One requirement, upon which I absolutely insist, is that all the income and expenses be categorized in such a way that TurboTax can import them. Furthermore, whatever else the package may do, it must accurately import an existing Quicken database.

Probably the best way is to crack the format of the Quicken files and use the same format (no matter how stupid it may be).
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.