Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Could someone explain the following quote from Bill's interview?

BM: A loss or two at 35:1 leverage becomes pretty tough.
TJ: And plus, the financial guaranty business is a business where you can't get out of the risk you have underwritten. The beauty of our business and why I like our model very much is that you have liquidity. You can get out if you want to get out. You may have to pay to get out, but you can get out.

What precisely is the difference between PRS' guaranty and one provided in the "financial guaranty business"?

What concerns me is their use of leverage. Am I right in thinking that the unsecured nature of the guaranty makes their use of such leverage reasonable?

I like the growing market, like the float derived from the business model, but want to make sure I understand the possible impacts of 35:1 leverage before deciding to take a position.

Thanks,
Stephen
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.