No. of Recommendations: 4
Liveaboard sed: "Homeschooling - it's always perplexed me that people pull their kids out of school to do the homeschooling. Couldn't homeschooling be really effective if the parents did it in conjunction with regular schooling."

Doesnt need to be. It is quite effective when done by itself.

My wife started homeschooling because the local elem school (which is decent, BTW) does not offer any advanced stuff now, although they said they're planning for it. That does not benefit my kids who would be in the school now.

Homeschooling is really good, in the fact that you get to totally manage the school experience and curriculum. You have the extreme liberty to teach whatever you want, however you want, to each individual child!

'Frinstance, my 7yr old 2nd grader had problems with the math curriculum last year. Now my 9yr old 4th grader used the old curr. OK. So now we have two different sets, each tailored to the individual child. They are both learning mathematics quite effectively! Cheers to their mother for recognizing this and rectifying the problem!

You simply wouldnt get that tailoring in *any* school setting!

Other examples abound, which I wont detail here. But overall you can instill values as you teach your kids, go with the flow to stoke their interests, change "on the fly" as you want, and roll in real life experiences as education.

Overall, its very exciting to have such liberty. <---- Hmmmmm, now thats an American concept, now isn't it???

Mark in MD
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.