Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
(I'm reposting this from the Ask a Foolish Question board per someone's suggestion)

I've been living outside of the US for the past couple of years but do plan to return at some point.

My employer is non-US, so I don't have a 401K or any other type of retirement vehicle.

Aside from irradically sending back money to the states to buy stock, I do plan on doing a Roth IRA this year. - someone on the Ask a Foolish question board warned me that I can only do an IRA if I have *earned income*. I get what I would consider the New Zealand equivalent of a W-2. I do file a US return and allocate all money out so I have no tax liability.

My question is what other tax deferred ways can I save money? Is the Roth IRA it so I'll be limited to a couple of thousand a year?

I was planning on using my stock purchases in my old age, but I'm guessing this is not the most advantageous from a tax perspective.

thanks for any advice
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.