Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I live in Japan and work for a Japanese University.
Because all of my income is excluded from US taxes,
it looks to the IRS as if I have no earned income.
This means I can not invest in an IRA. Of course,
I don't pay taxes anyway, so it is not like I am
missing a tax break at the time I invest, but I
am in terms of as the investment grows. If I
could invest in an IRA, I could have that money
grow tax free until I retire. Does anyone know of
an alternative that those earning all of their
income overseas could take advantage of?? Of course,
I also don't have a 401K. Here, they are just hearing
about such wild ways American's plan for retirement.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.