Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello

I had a question about my fidelity 5898 form. I had bought a company stock called Livongo as recommended by Fool. That company was acquired by Teladoc.

Now when I look at the statement 5898 it says cost basis 0 for certain transactions.

Does anyone also saw the same?

Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
I had a question about my fidelity 5898 form.

What's a 5898? Since you posted on Tax Strategies, I looked on both the IRS and the Fidelity websites and I get no hits for a Form 5898.

Did you mean a 5498?

AJ
No. of Recommendations: 1
I also wondered if it was a Form 5498. I'd add that if that is the case, then the transaction would have taken place in an IRA, in which case there would be no effect on the individual's tax return.

But I question if it was a Form 5498, as that form doesn't normally show the cost basis of individual securities, though some custodians use customized substitute forms.

Bill
But I question if it was a Form 5498, as that form doesn't normally show the cost basis of individual securities, though some custodians use customized substitute forms.

Yeah, I don't recall seeing cost basis for individual securities on a 5498 - only things like contribution and conversion amounts, and total account value. But I haven't had a retirement account at Fidelity for a long time, so I wondered if they send out forms that included some supplementary information on cost basis.

On the other hand, since it was a merger, I also wondered if it was some different type of tax form but the OP didn't identify it correctly. But I couldn't find any forms with similar numbers that were merger related.

AJ
I also couldn't find a 5898. Fidelity's 5498 does list current portfolio composition and market value, but not cost basis.

Ira