Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi all, I'm new on the boards, and if there's a better one for me please direct me to it.

I have three kids - a junior in high school, 7th grader, and 4 year old. We have done pretty well saving for our retirement. We were doing pretty well saving for college for the oldest when the economy went south when she was in 7th grade (the advice we had was become conservative in 9th grade) and we haven't recovered it very well.

Just had a "free consultation" with a financial advisor specializing in financing education. Of course, he thinks we have really screwed up our priorities by paying ahead on our house and funding our retirement funds but not saving enough to fully pay for college for all 3 kids. He suggested converting our home loan to interest-only so we can quick stuff more money in her college account before she graduates and avoid (gasp) student loans. His philosophy was so different from mine, I decided to skip the paid help and join the Motley Fool boards instead.

What do you experienced student loan folks think? If it matters, our daughter is also very academically talented and will probably get merit money from private schools she applies to.

My instinct is to keep doing what we're doing, and borrow against the house IF we need to during college, and supplement with loans, too.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.