Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/swiss-town-denies-passport-to-dutc...

A Dutch vegan who applied for a Swiss passport has had her application rejected because the locals found her too annoying.

Nancy Holten, 42, moved to Switzerland from the Netherlands when she was eight years old and now has children who are Swiss nationals.

However, when she tried to get a Swiss passport for herself, residents of Gipf-Oberfrick in the canton of Aargau rejected her application.

The case has now been transferred to the Cantonal government in Aargau, which can overrule the decision and can still grant her a Swiss passport despite the objections of the locals.

Local residents in Switzerland often have a say in citizenship applications, which are decided by the cantons and towns where the applicants live rather than federal government.

It is still very difficult to be granted Swiss citizenship and being born in the country does not give the children or even the grandchildren of immigrants the automatic right to be Swiss.

Apparently Switzerland is a decentralized nation that places Canton & local above the federal government in citizenship application approval. Misanthropes & annoying people need not apply. This makes for an agreeable harmonious nation; a nation of moderation and balance. Individuals that upset that balance do NOT become citizens. And it apparently works. Switzerland is the #3 nation in the world in regard to gun ownership density. Yet their murder rate is a quarter of the USA.* Their guns laws appear very similar to the US's in regard to firearms but tougher in regard to ammunition purchase.**

And all them guns & mountainous terrain & never ending guerrilla war**** kept Hitler from implementing Operation Tannenbaum***(Invasion of Switzerland)

https://www.thelocal.ch/20180102/eight-things-you-should-kno...
Cantonal and communal rules vary considerably. Each canton has different requirements (look up yours here), usually centring around how integrated you are in the community you live in. Do you have Swiss friends and work colleagues who deem you part of the community? Do you know a thing or two about the local area? Are you down with Swiss traditions, politics and history?

Local residents can have a say. Most cantons and/or communes require you to face an interview to prove your integration and knowledge of Switzerland where you could be quizzed on anything from the number of lakes in your canton to which days are public holidays and the names of local traditions and festivals. In some cases a communal residents’ committee gathers to vote on your application, so it pays to keep in with the locals

*http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/nation/gun-homi...
**https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Switzerland
***https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tannenbaum
****https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/nazis/reading...
"Swiss militiamen were instructed to disregard any alleged "official" surrender as enemy propaganda and, if necessary, fight individually."

There is a martial spirit within Switzerland. For 300 years the Swiss were re-known mercenaries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_mercenaries
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Heck of a recipe for cultural purity. The mob around here would go wild expelling people that "didn't fit in".

Steve
Heck of a recipe for cultural purity. The mob around here would go wild expelling people that "didn't fit in".

Steve

Yep. And what about Japan that places not only cultural but racial purity high in importance.

http://www.newsweek.com/why-does-no-one-care-japanese-are-op...
One of the more prominent victims of Japan’s ingrained discrimination is Ariana Miyamoto, who represents Japan in the 2015 Miss Universe competition. Miyamoto, the daughter of a Japanese mother and an African-American father, is categorized as hafu, a Japanese term and bastardization of the English word half, indicating someone who is mixed race.

Growing up in Japan, Miyamoto found her skin tone and curly hair caused others to shun her; classmates and their parents referred to her as kurombo, the Japanese equivalent of the N-word.

Reactions from the Japanese public have been less than kind. Posts on social media read, “Is it OK to select a hafu to represent Japan?”; “Miss Universe Japan is…what? What kind of person is she? She’s not Japanese, right?”; and “Even though she’s Miss Universe Japan, her face is foreign no matter how you look at it.“
No. of Recommendations: 0

However, when she tried to get a Swiss passport for herself, residents of Gipf-Oberfrick in the canton of Aargau rejected her application.

Do I applaud them, or not?
At least the Swiss took a stance instead of staying neutral on the issue.

Mike
No. of Recommendations: 1
The mob around here would go wild expelling people that "didn't fit in".

Not to worry, Steve, the Swiss wouldn't even let you come across their border. ;-)

Desert (fellow troublemaker) Dave
No. of Recommendations: 5
Switzerland is the #3 nation in the world in regard to gun ownership density. Yet their murder rate is a quarter of the USA.* Their guns laws appear very similar to the US's in regard to firearms but tougher in regard to ammunition purchase.**

Baloney. You need to apply for a permit to purchase firearms, you need to provide lots and lots of information, and there is no “gun show loophole” or anything like it. In fact, selling a sun privately is even more difficult than buying from a commercial dealer, where all purchases are tracked.

In order to purchase most weapons, the purchaser must obtain a weapon acquisition permit (art. 8 WG/LArm). Swiss citizens and foreigners with a C permit over the age of 18 who are not psychiatrically disqualified nor identified as posing security problems, and who have a clean criminal record can request such a permit. Foreigners with the following citizenship are explicitly excluded from the right to possess weapons: Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Turkey, Sri Lanka, Algeria and Albania.[note 2] The following information must be provided to the cantonal weapon bureau together with the weapon application form:

valid official identification or passport copy
residence address
criminal record copy not older than 3 months

For each transfer of a weapon or an essential weapon component without weapons acquisition permit (art. 10 WG/LArm), a written contract must be concluded. Each Party shall keep them at least ten years. The contract must include the following information (art. 11 WG/LArm):

Family name, first name, birth date, residence address and signature of the person who sells the weapon or essential weapon component
Family name, first name, birth date, residence address and signature of the person who purchases the weapon or an essential weapon component
Kind of weapon, manufacturer or producer, label, caliber, weapon number, and date and place of transfer;
Type and number of official identification of the person who acquires the weapon or the essential weapon component
and an indication of the processing of personal data in connection with the contract in accordance with the privacy policy of the Federation or the cantons, if firearms are transmitted.
This information must be sent within 30 days to the cantonal weapon registration bureau, where the weapon holders are registered (art. 9 WG/LArm).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Switzerland

These regulations include, by the way, several classes of knives, martial arts weapons (stars, etc.) and more.

And the buying of ammunition is even MORE difficult. Maybe *effective gun regulation* has something to do with the lower gun statistics? And would the NRA agree that certain nationalities should be proscribed from owning weapons altogether? Check that, given their politics, perhaps that’s one proposal they might support.
Baloney. You need to apply for a permit to purchase firearms, you need to provide lots and lots of information, and there is no “gun show loophole” or anything like it. In fact, selling a sun privately is even more difficult than buying from a commercial dealer, where all purchases are tracked.

Maybe Salami or Pepperoni? Swiss able bodied men of military age are issued a firearm and must take it home with them after military training. Much of the invented (by the gun crowd) nonsense comes from this statistic distorting bit.

Tim

https://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/hondswitz.asp
No. of Recommendations: 4
A Dutch vegan who applied for a Swiss passport has had her application rejected because the locals found her too annoying.

Usually it is a mostly administrative process, although you do get invited to a meeting where they may question you about how you have integrated into society, your knowledge on Swiss history and the political system.

In small villages however, the locals may get to vote. The decision is up to appeal though... in this case, she appealed to the Canton, and she will get citizenship, despite being annoying. I would submit that some locals can be annoying, too ;-)
There is a martial spirit within Switzerland. For 300 years the Swiss were re-known mercenaries.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since 1859, only one mercenary unit has been permitted: the Vatican's Swiss Guard, which has been protecting the Pope for the last five centuries, dressed in colourful uniforms, supposedly drawn by Michelangelo, reminiscent of the Swiss mercenary's heyday. Despite it being prohibited, individual Swiss citizens carried on the tradition of foreign military service into the twentieth century, including participation in the Spanish Civil War, usually on the Nationalist side. Swiss citizens also served in the German Wehrmacht during the Second World War, although purely on an individual and voluntary basis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_mercenaries
...they may question you about how you have integrated into society, your knowledge on Swiss history and the political system.

What the howling mobs of anti-immigration sorts in the US seem to miss is that, to become a US citizen, an immigrant must be able to speak, read and write English and know how the government is supposed to operate. I wonder how many of the howling mob could pass that test?

What that "integration" standard would become in the US is a measure of "traditional values", like being a hetero Bible banger.

Steve
No. of Recommendations: 4
Baloney. You need to apply for a permit to purchase firearms, you need to provide lots and lots of information, and there is no “gun show loophole”

A loophole that needs to be ended.

I have purchased firearms and have been required to provide the same information to a Federal Firearm Licensed dealer. They run my name through the federal database to determine my eligibility to own a firearm. And once when i purchased two handguns within i think a month; the FFL notified the local law enforcement dept as required by law.
Document FFL must fill out for gun purchaser:https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4473-part-1-firearms-trans...
No. of Recommendations: 3
Baloney. You need to apply for a permit to purchase firearms, you need to provide lots and lots of information, and there is no “gun show loophole”

A loophole that needs to be ended.

Actually, he was correct - in a way he didn't intend.

There is no "gun show loophole".

In the US.

A gun sale between two parties at a gun show is subject to precisely the same rules and regulations that the same transaction between the same two parties would be subject to in the absence of a gun show.

And it does not matter if the latter is face-to-face, over the internet, or arranged by mail or telephone. Same regulations, always.

Also, if anything, enforcement is stricter at gun shows - it's likely that there are ATF agents prowling the show as part of their official duties (plus, quite possibly, some off-duty as potential buyers and/or sellers), whereas there probably isn't one at the moment at your local gun shop and there almost certainly isn't one at your hunting buddy's house after dinner while you're admiring his new rifle and wondering if he's willing to sell his old one.
And once when i purchased two handguns within i think a month ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you stay out of California. We don't need your bangers ...

jaagu
No. of Recommendations: 3
I hope you stay out of California. We don't need your bangers ...

jaagu

I have visited California often and will likely continue to do so.
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

I have purchased firearms and have been required to provide the same information to a Federal Firearm Licensed dealer. They run my name through the federal database to determine my eligibility to own a firearm. And once when i purchased two handguns within i think a month; the FFL notified the local law enforcement dept as required by law.

Once, while in the Army, I found a deal on Colt .45 automatics just before going TDY with my pistol team. I bought'em, hid'em and thought I'd avoided an argument with my wife.

While I was away the FBI came by, seems buying more than one gun at a time catches the attention of the feds, so she knew before I got home.

Desert (I bought her some jewelry) Dave
I have visited California often and will likely continue to do so.

==============================

You and your money are welcome. Your bangers are not welcome.