No. of Recommendations: 0

Lokicious said:

"Taxes need to be included on the expense side, which is hard to project, and, of course, in this case we are dealing with inflation to your actual expenses, not CPI-U adjustments—I just allow for a generous margin for error (e.g., if in principal you can get about 40 years at a 3% initial withdrawal rate and 1% above inflation, you figure in reality a 2.5% initial withdrawal rate would be safer)."

Your statement about inflation to actual expenses is a new concept for me. I have just been thinking about protecting the whole nest egg from inflation based on the CPI-U. It will indeed depend on where the expenses are coming from and what part of the country you live in.

Pappys
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.