No. of Recommendations: 1
Lokicious

You have the patience of Job?/Jobe? regarding the other thread. I don't know how you do it. But thank you. I have read in a lurking mode for several years and certainly know where to come when I have questions.

Re a 4 year CD ladder (and 1 year MM). It equals 5 year expenses. In our case newly retired, it is protecting against a drop in MM rates going forward. I'd rather protect the downside at this point. Lock it in even at 5.05%.

Previously, MM allowed me flexibility to buy what appeared to be undervalued.

Going forward, CDs provide a floor against falling MM rates and also provide some flexibility. Ergo - in a given year if my holding is fairly valued, I'll sell some and roll the CD. OTOH if my holding is undervalued, I'll cash in a maturing CD rather than roll it. Again and again if necessary for 5 years. Sounds simple enough, but I KNOW (KNOW!)it's not.

Markets can change, and fast. Stock market AND bond markets. I'm satisfied to have locked in the CDs. Waiting on a rollover to fund the last CD.

Thank you again for this board. It is a terrific resource.

Lethean
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.