Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
Well, we all know how CBS slants so far to the Left they are rolling down hill along with their ratings. Only shows how desperate they are for someone, anyone to buy one of their nonews paper.
One would think they would try and polish up their bias image and start reporting the truth. I guess Dan Rather still has an influence on them.

CBS Slants Bush Poll in Favor of Democrats
Posted by Greg Sheffield on February 28, 2006 - 08:57.
In its classic "fair and balanced" tradition, CBS slanted in favor of Democrats its poll that found Bush has a 34 percent approval rating and a 59 percent disapproval rating, an all-time high for a CBS poll.

On the bottom of the PDF version of the poll (page 18) it says how many Democrats versus Republicans were contacted.

"Total Republicans" contacted: 272 unweighted and 289 weighted.

"Total Democrats" contacted: 409 unweighted and 381 weighted.

"Total Independents" contacted: 337 unweighted and 348 weighted.

Brent Baker also noted how CBS failed to highlight a key portion of its poll on the Feb. 27 "CBS Evening News." 66 percent of respondents thought the media devoted "too much time" to Cheney's hunting accident.

UPDATE 12:31. The Pew Research Center for the People and the Press has a helpful table in this report (page 13) on what percentage of Americans consider themselves to be Republican or Democrat. It shows that in both 2004 and 2005, 30% said they were Republican compared to 33% who said they were Democrats. The new CBS poll (even after being weighted) had a population of only 28% Republicans to 37% Democrats.

UPDATE 13:21. Aside from their bias, Jason Smith notes how mid-year polls are often unreliable predictors for future elections.

<http://newsbusters.org/node/4211>

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
Since the poll was so bias why all the Republican panic and spin?

No. of Recommendations: 0
LurkerMom,

Nice reliable & neutral source you picked there ;-)

Your Newsbuster spin doctor should be careful who he quotes.

He mentioned Pew. There last Poll ended up with the title "Bush to be Drag on Republican Midterm hopes"

You don't really want to look at the numbers in that poll if you are a Bushie sheep. But I'll make the bad news available for you.

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=270

Since the poll was so bias why all the Republican panic and spin?

Really? First I heard of it....What I did hear was a montage of news media people, who, one after another, repeating over and over and over again the same thing, “Bush ratings at a new low” etc played by a local talk show host ….It was funny. And it is why I am laughing over it.

Meanwhile, not driven by poll numbers as Clinton was, Bush goes on with his agenda.

lol...you mean CBS, shades of Dan Rathers is reliable?
Well, we all know how CBS slants so far to the Left they are rolling down hill along with their ratings. Only shows how desperate they are for someone, anyone to buy one of their nonews paper.

First of all, CBS is a broadcast network, not a newspaper.

Second of all, I find it fascinating that it's only when the news is something the right doesn't like that the media becomes "leftest crap." If they were reporting a 60% favorable Bush rating, they would all of a sudden be 'credible."

Gosh, couldn't be that BUSH IS A IMBECILE WHO HAS EFFED *EVERYTHING* UP AND PEOPLE ARE STARTING TO WAKE UP TO THAT FACT, now, could it. LOL. You people on the right are a riot.

Caat
I always liked this Poll for its accuracy

THE RACE FOR PRESIDENT

All exit polls predict Kerry will be victor

By John Byrne | RAW STORY EDITOR

Sen. John Kerry looks to make a victory of the electoral college, according to all sets of exit polls conducted by a consortium of six media organizations (the National Election Pool) that RAW STORY has acquired and confirmed with myriad sources.

The first, third and final round give Kerry a wide berth in all critical swing states. The second round put Kerry ahead in Ohio and Florida, but only by a one point margin.

The latest national exit polls puts Kerry up 51-48 percent nationally.

http://www.rawstory.com/exclusives/byrne/early_exit_polls_kerry_win_1102.htm

If you cant trust a Poll .. who can you trust? ... The French?

Bears
LurkerMom,

Perhaps you'll like this one better? Check the very bottom of the pdf file.

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/poll_bush_022706.pdf
THE RACE FOR PRESIDENT

All exit polls predict Kerry will be victor

Every exit poll I read said the election would be withing the margin of error. So that headline is BS.

Golly, LurkerMom, I guess you're right. Bush is really popular, if only CBS would report the truth!

Now, what do we have to do to convince ourselves that Cheney's 18% popularity rating (just below "stinky feet," just above "syphilis") is also the result of liberal bias?

--JC
LurkerMom: Meanwhile, not driven by poll numbers as Clinton was...

...or the concept of reality....

....Bush goes on with his agenda..

...to bankrupt America, morally and literally.

Mission just about f*$%ing Accomplished.

--JC
Enjoy your pudding.
No. of Recommendations: 6
LurkerMom,

Here is another take on the Dan Rather, oh wait, I mean CBS poll. ;)

<snip>
. The data set itself is dramatically more Democrat. It's 28% Republican and 37% Democrat AFTER they weighted Republicans UP. In other words, the sample was even more Democrat when it came back. In fact, Democrats were 40% of the sample and Republicans were only 27%. Someone clearly knew having a sample that was 40-27 would be a tip-off, so they weighted Dems down into the 30%s in order to avoid extreme criticism. Why is the sample so Democrat? One reason may be because almost every question bangs the President and I would guess that the hang ups they get are vastly more Republican than Democrat. Think about it. Why would a Republican sit on the phone and answer loaded anti-Bush questions for 15 minutes?

· The survey is NOT being done for actual opinion research, but is being done for headlines. Most of the work I have done for 10 years – probably 90% of it – is NEVER released publicly. It isn't being written for headlines, it's being written to get the truth about how people feel. This survey is mostly done to zing Bush, Cheney and Republicans generally.

· Many of the questions are AWFUL. Q54 is an excellent example:

"Q54 After 9/11, President Bush authorized government wiretaps on some phone calls in the U.S. without getting court warrants, saying this was necessary in order to reduce the threat of terrorism. Do you approve or disapprove of the President doing this?"

Does this accurately capture what he authorized? NO!!!!!!! It leaves out the fact (intentionally) that these were calls originating or ending internationally. Any respectable pollster would have included this information – or at the very least split sample the question and given this information to half of the sample to see its impact.

<http://corner.nationalreview.com/06_02_26_corner-archive.asp#091178>

For an organization that's supposedly trying to skew the poll results, it's pretty forthcoming about the poll's methodology.

Some will no doubt seize on the fact that the latest CBS News sample is a few points more Democratic on party ID (37%) than on their last three surveys (34% in late January, 33% in early January and 32% in December), although the Republican percentage (28%) is about the same as the last three surveys (27%, 29% and 28% respectively). However, the difference in the party results does not explain the drop in the Bush job rating, which occurs across all three categories.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2006/02/28/publiceye/entry1352504.shtml

No. of Recommendations: 37
One would think they would try and polish up their bias image and start reporting the truth.

OK, here is the truth:

CBS contacted 1018 people in the United States by dialing random phone numbers. 272 of those people said that they were Republicans. 409 people said that they were Democrats. 33% of the people they called said that they supported the president.

Straining my eyes to look at a small reproduction of table 41 from the Biometrika Tables for Statisticians, Volume 1, Cambridge University Press, 1954) I see that one can be 95% confident that that between about 29% and 37% of people in the US with telephone lines support the president.

Basically, this process of calling about 1000 random people is going to produce a sample approval rating which is within four points of the actual US telephone owning public 19 out of 20 times.

Now, if you are going to spend the money to random dial 1018 Americans, you may as well use a more sophisticated statistical technique called weighting to improve the reliability of your sample results. Since the party affiliation of the US greatly affects approval rating and is relatively constant over a longer period of time, it is used as a weighting variable.

When they use what I would expect to be a mathematically tested and sound weighting methodology, the raw estimate would be revised to 34%.

Just for fun, lets use your untested weighting methodology based on no statistical backgound and two sample results over a two year period. Even though this procedure will have no real statistical meaning, lets use your proportions:

0.30 rep * 0.72 approve = 0.216 %
0.33 dem * 0.09 approve = 0.0297%
0.37 ind * 0.29 approve = 0.1073%

For a total approval of (drumroll) 35.3%

WOW! What bias! They weight to change their raw sample proportion from 33% approval to 34% approval, when it should be (according to unsound weighting methods developed one afternoon by Greg Sheffield) 35.3% approval.

$\aleph_0$
Think about it. Why would a Republican sit on the phone and answer loaded anti-Bush questions for 15 minutes?

Good question. Appears that this journalist does not understand that the presidential approval question is the very first one.

$\aleph_0$
No. of Recommendations: 8

The process of weighting sample is proper methodology. Having spent the last 11 years working with polling and research sample, I explain the basic concept here:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23771278

Mystery Pollster provides an explanation of why the weighting issue does not affect the results of the poll here:

In fact, even when MP recalculates the CBS job approval results for the most recent survey using the average party composition reported on their last three surveys (33% Democrat, 28% Republican, 39% independent or other), the Bush approval percentage still rounds to 34%. The reason is that my recalculation just increases the number of independents at the expense of Democrats. However, Bush's rating is now so low among both subgroups as measured by CBS that the adjustment makes little difference.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2006/02/28/publiceye/entry1352504.shtml

And there is a more in depth explanation (pertaining specifically to CBS) here:

What about CBS? I've read several posts – including one on the comments section of this blog – that repeat the myth that CBS News weights by party. The proof? The table below (which I reproduced from the last page of this release) which shows weighted an unweighted samples sizes for Democrats, Republicans and Indepedents. CBS provides this data because their report includes tabulations by party for each question, and they are providing disclosure of their sub-sample sizes exactly as required by the disclosure standards of the National Council for Public Polls. They go even one step further, providing unweighted counts to assist in those who want to calculate sampling error.
UNWEIGHTED WEIGHTED
Total Respondents 1083

Total Republicans 377 339
Total Democrats 376 381
Total Independents 330 364

Registered Voters 931 898

Reg. Voters –- Republicans 343 323
Reg. Voters –- Democrats 324 332
Reg. Voters –- Independents 264 246

So why does it appear that Republicans have been weighted down? Among total respondents, for example, the share of Republicans is lowerhigher for the unweighted sample (35% or 377/1083) than the unweighted sample (31% or 339/1083). The reason is that respondents are less cooperative in urban and suburban areas and more cooperative in rural areas. Presumably, when they correct the sample to match verifiable census data, the weighting indirectly – but appropriately – altered the party balance.

http://www.mysterypollster.com/main/2004/09/why_how_pollste.html

Of course, if you still believe it is all just a Big Lie and that this is all just a ploy by the anti-Bush liberal media cabal, you might want to look into this final link:

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/
No. of Recommendations: 2
The process of weighting sample is proper methodology. Having spent the last 11 years working with polling and research sample, I explain the basic concept here:

The bottom line is.....Bush doesn't care about the poll and it will not hurt his chances for re-election. ;) As far as other Republicans go come election time, well, I'm confident the ones I support, and that also goes for a few Democrats, will do ok.

VARGAS: I know you don't read the polls. You have said that many, many times.

BUSH: So what are you going to do, ask me about a poll?

VARGAS: I am going to ask about a poll, just the most recent poll that's out today that does have your approval rating at an all-time low for your administration. You don't care about that, but you have talked a lot about political capital, the importance of it, the value of it, your intention to use it. Do you think you have political capital right now?

BUSH: I've got ample capital and I'm using it to spread freedom and to protect the American people, plus we've got a strong agenda to keep this economy growing. The economy is strong. A good, healthy rate last year, productivity is up, we're creating jobs. The unemployment rate's 4.7 percent nationally. I mean, this is a strong economy.

And I talked to the Congress about how to make sure that we remain the leader in the world when it comes to economic vitality and growth for the good of our own people. And we've got a good, strong agenda, and I'm confident we'll be able to get a lot of the agenda through the Congress, including changing how we drive cars, getting unhooked from oil; including a competitiveness initiative that encourages research and development as well as educating children in math and science; health initiatives that empower the consumer and make sure the doctor-patient relationship is central to health care, health savings accounts.

We've got a very robust agenda, and I'm confident we'll get it through.

VARGAS: So you're not worried about that at all?

BUSH: No, listen, you know, I know people make a big deal out of these things. If I worried about polls, I would be — I wouldn't be doing my job. And, look, I fully understand that when you do hard things, it creates consternation at times. And, you know, I've been up in the polls, and I've been down in the polls. You know, it's just part of life in the modern era.

I think the American people — I know the American people want somebody to stand on principle, decide, make decisions and stand by them, and to lead this world toward a more peaceful tomorrow. And I strongly believe we are doing that, and I'm — I got to tell you, I'm enjoying it. It's a fantastic opportunity.

<http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=1671087&page=4>

No. of Recommendations: 6
The bottom line is.....Bush doesn't care about the poll and it will not hurt his chances for re-election. ;)

No, the bottom line is that the charge of media bias is in this case totally unsupported and thus you are, as usual, just spreading a bunch of dishonest BS.
BUSH: No, listen, you know, I know people make a big deal out of these things. If I worried about polls, I would be — I wouldn't be doing my job.

That's Karl's job.

I got to tell you, I'm enjoying it. It's a fantastic

What Me Worry?
I've always believed what any President say's on the TeeVee.

_Bush declared four days after the storm, "I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees" that gushed deadly flood waters into New Orleans. But the transcripts and video show there was plenty of talk about that possibility — and Bush was worried too.

Broken Link

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060301/ap_on_go_pr_wh/katrina_video
;_ylt=AtM4wGMtn_QtRVWE2cOy0fkDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

I got to tell you, I'm enjoying it.