Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I think that siri is a viable concept and service but unfortunately invested in the 60's price range. My problem with siri for the long run is a sustainable advantage. It has to be that they will offer absolutely no commercials. I bring this up because it is not a stretch to imagine Speech works (SPWX) voice portal software to controll a PC in your car. Combine this with a high speed mobile internet network like Metricom (MCOM), and you essentially have the entire world of radio stations available to listen to in your vehicle.

So if I am paying to have a mobile internet service, why would I want to pay more for a radio service. Bottom line, keep the price low and have absolutely no commercial.

Hooter

Long MCOM, SPWX, maybe SIRI
Print the post Back To Top
What about sound quality?

What about convenience?

Give me CD quality sound at the flip of the dial, tasty waves, cool buds, and I'm fine!
I may be an unrealistic optimist, but I feel that the sound quality issue will be a given in that it would flop immediately if it wasn't high performance digital quality.
The convenience matter is personal. I enjoy a loaded up 6 or 10 CD changer, but as a working road warrior, I can get tired of even the most classic matterial in my collection whether it be Dark Side of the Moon or Pictures at an Exhibition.
The XMSR & SIRI appeal for me is the varied programming without the YAK, YAK, YAK. I listen to Public Radio because I don't get commercials, but I am nauseated by the liberal left wing pandering. I listen to Talk Radio to get some conservative perspective that more closely matches my personal views, by get sick of the idiots that call and the repetition of right wing rhetoric. So it goes back to the CD and a Momentary Lapse of Reason.
Ciao
Long on SBUX, HDI, SIRI, XMSR, NOK and AAPL (ouch)!
MRG

Long on Aapl? I just recently bought. I've never been overly enthused about Apple as an investment. However, with $4 Billion cash in the bank, over 80% of their current stock price is held in cash!, how much farther could it really go down? If it drops another 30%, you could simply buy the whole company, and then cash out for a profit.
Metricom cannot provide audio streaming in a car. I own MCOM, and asked the MCOM management that question. As for Software Portal Works-- no. You dont have good enough compression.And cellular ground service would cost too much for a long trip.

I don't know who expected SIRI to have revenues in January 2001-- I didn;t-- dpn't even know why anyone would post that that was the expectation.
I ABSOLUTELY expected to Siri activated in december 2000.that was the talk. in fact i expected them to be in the new automobiles now.I called investor services just last week and they indicated to me that it would take about two weeks of tests to see how operational it was.(no way was this to be deferred into late 2001.
this was the advantage they had over XMSR )In , fact was'nt SIRI supposed to show there product in LAS VEGAS this month? cough! cough!
I've had a keen interest in MCOM ever since they announced an agreement with BEOS. BeOS was a stock that I traded a couple of times this year and have recently bought back in to. If I get a chance I think that MCOM has great potential. I read that AT&T wireless has announced direct aim at 3G technology and feel that MCOM can deploy a solid working and inexpensive network even before AT&T can come in like an 800lb gurilla. I liked MTNT for many of the same reasons that I like MCOM. MCOM, MTNT.. a toss up for me at this moment but since I'm in SIRI I tend more towards some hedging on SDARS and am leaning toward MTNT. Then again, since my BEOS investment could be dependent on MCOM i'm in a quandry. Decisions, decisions. I've got time.