Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings and thanks in advance for any ideas or help you can share!

In visiting with my elderly parents over the holidays, it came out that long ago, they gifted my baby daughter (now 32 years old!) with approximately $1000 in some form of investment. None of us have any recollection or records of any specifics, other than my parents remembering that they did it (honestly, I don't remember it at all - although I do remember starting a DRiP for her much later, after discovering the Fool).

Is there a way to search for some form of investment, whether bonds or CDs or DRiPs based on the beneficiaries SSN? I suppose it might even have been a savings account, but I would be searching blind as to what bank it would be back then.

Any other ways to search? They don't remember the specific year, but I am guessing it would have been mid-1980s, maybe 1984-1986 or so.

Thanks again!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
You might start with the state's abandoned property site, although it may not help if the dates are that old. (Abandoned property may revert to state coffers after going unclaimed for a certain number of years.)
No. of Recommendations: 1
Is there a way to search for some form of investment, whether bonds or CDs or DRiPs based on the beneficiaries SSN? I suppose it might even have been a savings account, but I would be searching blind as to what bank it would be back then.

Start checking those old boxes in the basement, attic, under the bed, out in the shed/garage. Financial companies send monthly/quarterly reports so it's likely you've got something somewhere around the house that will lead you to one of the companies you did business with.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I will look for such a website! Both that and looking for the old paper trail are great suggestions. I doubt we can get any traction on the latter at this point, unfortunately. I already exhausted all my own resources; searching my parent's storage is not terribly feasible for practical reasons right now (but a perfectly reasonable and logical suggestion!).

I was surprised to hear about this - I have zero recollections of such an event, but my head was in a completely different place way back then.

This came up when I was explaining about the Disney share & DRiP I gave to my grandson for Christmas! ;-)

Thanks again.
No. of Recommendations: 1
WA state's abandoned property site was easy to find and use:
http://ucp.dor.wa.gov/

30 seconds later, I found two entries for my daughter - both small unrelated amounts, unfortunately (but still!)

60 seconds later, I had found three entries for myself. Each was <$50, but hey, it certainly beats a sharp stick in the eye!

Thank you for these suggestions!