No. of Recommendations: 0
I find it interesting that long term bond prices have gone down, as have interest rates on new bonds. I would have thought that lowering interest rates should have raised the prices of existing bonds.

Is there a huge outflux of people exiting the U.S. market entirely, and selling all U.S. dollar securities?
Print the post Back To Top
Greetings aesirai,

Is there a huge outflux of people exiting the U.S. market entirely, and selling all U.S. dollar securities?

I don't think it is that as much as that there are some differences between short-term and long-term rates. For instance the Federal Reserve only controls short-term interest rates while long-term rates aren't set by them. Secondly, there was talk before about the number of Treasuries decreasing and with a smaller supply this would drive prices up as people snatch up longer-term bonds although now I think that isn't going to be the case for a while.

Just my thoughts on the subject,
JB
Fear of over spending stimulus bringing back some inflation and also disappearing surpluses are causing the yield curve to become more steep.

Long bonds are a bargain compared to short term notes. Everyone wants safety, short-term. If one is willing to take a shot, he can get some decent yields 10 years out.