Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Both of my grandmothers have recently entered long term care facilities. One grandmother scrimped and saved all of her life, the other grandmother spent it as fast as she could get it. As a result of this the grandmother that scrimped and saved now has a couple hundred thousand dollars (she *should* have had a lot more - but that's another story). The spend-thrift grandmother has a few thousand dollars to her name.

So the question is, who is better off, the grandmother who saved or the one that spent? Well, it turns out that they are in exactly the same situation. In fact, if they could stand each other my parents would probably have put them in exactly the same nursing home. The only difference is that the one with the money will pay for herself until she either runs out of money or dies and the one without the money will taken care of by the state.

This whole experience has taught me the lessen that I should either spend or give away all of my money before I am too old to take care of myself.

Am I missing something or am I just too cynical (or both)?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.