Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I agree with everything you said in your 2/14 article but there is another factor. In Florida the level of care in primarily Medicaid nursing homes is often substandard. I do not say this is always true and there are no primarily Medicaid centers that provide good care, but it is certainly a matter of economics, pure and simple. I have experience in this realm and have been in and out of these facilities over a long period of time. If a person has some payment source, be it private funds and/or insurance, the chances of being accepted in a better setting (and even then beds are often at a premium especially for men) are much greater. Such a facility will then convert the resident to Medicaid after a period of time of private funding (each facility varies in the amount of private pay time they would need). Seeing the primarily straight Medicaid facilities can make one shudder! Certainly that's the environment in LTC right now and things could change but we only have now on which to base any decision.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.