Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I am a 62 year old female and planning on retiring at 65. I am married (husband is 70) no children and totally debt free. I have been maxing my 401K, have my Roth IRA's, some mutual funds and too much savings that I will be investing soon. But in my financial planning I have been in a dilima as to whether to purchase long-term health care insurance. Today I am in excellent health, never had any serious illnesses or operations. I will soon be 63 and want to make the dicision before then. I know the premiums are expensive, probably over $1,000 a year. Hopefully I will not need any assisted care for over 20 years. I dread the thought of a nursing home and hope I die before that. My thought is that $1,000 invested over 20 years would give me a good return that I could pay for any home care that I might need in my old age. I know insurance is not investing but it is part of my overall financial planning for retirement. It is difficult to find information on this subject and much of it is conflicting. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.