Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I like the idea of investing retirement money in tax-free municipal bonds, especially for someone in a high tax bracket. I have invested only in long-term bonds so far, but most articles I read recommend buying short-term and intermediate-term bonds. I guess I don't follow the logic in this, especially at a time when interest rates are higher than they have been for some time. It seems as if one would want to lock in a good rate for as long as possible.

I realize there is always the risk of interest rates rising no matter where they are, but they can also fall as well, so I still don't quite get the point of investing in the shorter term bonds. Can someone out there enlighten me on this subject?

A Fool in the making
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.