Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Longer term bonds will be clobbered if interest rates go up; you need to research just what types of bonds your mutual funds own.

Here is some info on bond risks;

I am not sure if you can get them in a 529 but for money that won’t be needed for at least five years; i-bonds have some education tax advantages and currently have a decent yield.

TIPs can also be used to preserve the purchasing power but you need to understand how they are taxed if they are in a taxable account.

Print the post  


Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.