No. of Recommendations: 4
LonghornBoy and I have different opinions. Wi-Fi is nice and easy, but it will never be as fast or secure as wire.

I'm with TwoCybers on this one. The more stuff you can connect wired, the less traffic you'll have on your WiFi and the faster it will be. This is especially important if you have neighbors within WiFi range. There really aren't many channels available on WiFi, and more and more devices are using multiple channels at once to get faster speeds (especially for doing High-Def). Once all your neighbors start using multiple multi-channel devices, it's pretty much a given that the bandwidth available will drop.

However, I'm not so sure on just what "wired" will mean in the future. As TwoCybers says, "I would go one step further - I would run plastic conduit so that in the future additionally wires could be pulled to/from my central distribution room". Personally, I did a mix with some of the boxes having actual wires (usually two CAT5e cables and one RG6) and the more important locations having "smurf tube" (ribbed flexible plastic conduit, officially ENT Electrical Nonmetallic Tubing). All the wires/tubes go to the easiest point to get to in the attic. Once in the attic, it's easy to go to a central equipment point (either in the attic itself, which I did, or in a room it is easy to run cable/conduit to from the attic).

Smurf tube is not all that expensive... I'd probably have done all the boxes with it if I just had one story with an attic or crawl space (so most runs are just a few feet long going straight up or down). Going from an attic to the first floor is more difficult with smurf tube than with cables, especially here in California where the building codes call for huge beams (earthquakes) and fire stops. Best to put a pull-line in each tubing run before everything gets all closed in. You can buy it in a self-dispensing bucket, but probably any string would do. A shop-vac will draw it right in.

Once you have smurf tube in place you can put in whatever the latest wire is anytime you want. No need to decide how many wires or what type right now. Also works fine for fibre-optic (I only had one run, for the Verizon FiOS feed).

Phil
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.