No. of Recommendations: 0
LONGREITS,

I don't mean to be facetious, but to call Wight's book "elementary" is a more a characterization of the reader than of what she's actually saying.

By that I mean this. Yeah, a lot of the book is basic info (yadda, yadda, yadda) that can be found anywhere. But, sometime, go back and re-read her book looking for the investment strategist behind what she is saying. She's no dummie, and she was well-schooled by her mentors. Hidden in plain sight, there's a lot a shrewd, experienced advice that's quietly revealed in a sentence or two here and there that makes that book worth picking up again from time to time to go over over "the basics" which really aren't so basic after all.

Maybe it's a Zen thing, and maybe it's just me. But I get a lot more out of her book than I do the other basic intros. In other words, as I read her book, I find myself nodding my head in agreement with her as to how she's laying out the material or, even better, being nudged to reconsider something I had assumed was otherwise, whereas when I read something like the Richelson's book, I find myself screaming at them for their repeated stupidity.

In other words, as simple as Wright's book seems, I can always get one more insight out of it, whereas I won't ever pick up again the sort of trash put out by Bogle, Wm Bernstein, Malkiel, or any of the MPT cult. That stuff is a true quagmire and tar baby that sucks you in and drags your down without offering anything of benefit.

If you want to read Crezensi, read him. He's not bad. But the far more productive thing is to take a long walk, and or long bike ride, and to really think about pieces and parts of bond-investing and then start building the tools and techniques needed to implement your investment plan.

The "bottom line"is this. Nothing works all of the time, and nearly anything works some of the time. Meanwhile, the only constant is constant change. So you're constantly having to review and rethink your foundational assumptions, and that constantly changing you is the only constant in the investing world. You are your ship, your rudder, your map, your compass, and your horizon, and all need maintenance. That maintenance (and development) is going to come more from your "thinking time" than your "reading time", and more from your screen time dealing with actual prices than from arguing with the fools that inhabit discussion forums.

Charlie
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.