Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
. . . flying out of my pockets. Now it's motorcycles.

I picked up a new Suzuki last night to go with the used Honda I bought my wife last week. Compared to car shopping, this was an interesting process.

Since what Mrs. 5Speed wanted was a bit of a unicorn (in these parts), I got hers at "Humongus Motosports," a giant place full if bikes, ATVs, PWCs, etc. They had stuff to the ceiling, and would bring it down on mini forklifts to show you. Salesmen all over everyone, and nobody gets out the door with out an extended warranty(except me).

I got mine at "Cool Bike Boutique," a very casual place that handles swanky Europeans like Ducati, Moto Guzzi, and Triumph among others. It's the kind of place that encourages loitering. The staff lot is full of old stuff; cafe racer style.

Insurance shopping was a trip, too. My home/car guy doesn't write bike policies, so I got 7 quotes from different places. For the exact same levels of coverage, prices varied by $900/year from high to low.

Since I'm not 22 anymore, and I have a life worth living, I'm very deliberate, and very cautious. I see this as being a really fun way to get out and "stomp on the terra," and don't miss the hobby boat I got rid of, or regret the hobby Porsche I didn't buy. I've got 23 miles under my belt on this toy now, and all I can think about are the next thousand.

5Speed in the car, 6Speed on the bike.

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.