Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Look here for Fed retirement benefits. http://www.opm.gov/retire/html/library/fers.asp

In general, you get 1% of your average top 3 earning years x years of service once you reach Minimum Retirement Age in addition to the TSP (401k) with 5% matching. As a FIREe, I don't count the pension at all because I expect to pull the plug between the ages of 38-43 and my MRA is 57 (like I can put up with it for 34 years... a 34 year career isn't Retiring Early!).

As to breaking into a Fed job in the IT field, try getting hired by a gov't support contractor (working in Gov't spaces alongside gov't employees) and do a good job, impress the right people and they'll know how to work the system to get you a job. (write a job announcement to your specific qualifications, etc. -It doesn't always work out -someone else could be better qualified for "your" job but it increases your odds) Networking still helps. However, in my experience contractors tend to get paid more (albeit with possibly lower benefits?? and less job satisfaction should their employer lose the contract).

As to a city job, municipal jobs can be very iffy as far as job security goes. Revenues go down and employees are let go (often based off of seniority). I've looked at working for the city but would take a pay cut and lose a lot of security. No thanks!

Good Luck.

FoolNBlue
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.