Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Looking at Form 8606, it appears to be specific to that year so I'm not sure how filing it for prior years would work.....

Also, the conditions for the 8606 are:

(1)You made nondeductible contributions to a traditional IRA for 2006.
(2)You took distributions from a traditional, SEP, or SIMPLE IRA in 2006 and you made nondeductible contributions to a traditional IRA in 2006 or an earlier year. For this purpose, a distribution does not include a rollover (other than a repayment of a qualified hurricane distribution), qualified charitable distribution, conversion, recharacterization, or
return of certain contributions.
(3) You converted part, but not all, of your traditional, SEP, and SIMPLE IRAs to Roth IRAs in 2006 (excluding any portion
you recharacterized) and you made nondeductible contributions to a traditional IRA in 2006 or an earlier year.

(1) and (2) don't apply to my situation. For (3) I converted *all* of the IRA so it doesn't seem to apply either.

Maybe I'm overthing this and should just let my tax preparer figure all this out? He's been doing my taxes for about 20 yrs and handles a number of small businesses as well as individuals such as myself....

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.