No. of Recommendations: 1
Looking at my credit reports, I've indirectly dealt with Synchrony Bank via applying for a Best Buy line of credit years and years ago when making a big-ticket purchase--likely some 'no interest for six months' sort of thing. This is the first time they've contacted me directly, and all by trying to fool me into dropping everything and calling them up--so that they can sell me a credit card?

It seems that a lot of stores use Synchrony. I have a loan on a mattress from Mattress Warehouse that uses them and I bought a washer and driver with a Lowes card through Synchrony.

PSU
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Zulily is a clothing retailer/website, and according to the third Google search result, Synchrony does administer their store card.

I doubt it's phishing.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Also, if you want to be sure, compare the number in the letter you received to what's listed on the syncrony web site. Make sure they're the same, and its not just an attempt from a third party to get you to divulge personal info.

https://www.synchronycredit.com/eSecurity/Login/login.action...

Your zulily Credit Card is issued by Synchrony Bank.The Synchrony Bank Privacy Policy governs the use of the zulily Credit Card. The use of this site is governed by the use of the Synchrony Bank Internet Privacy Policy, which is different from the privacy policy of zulily. For login or registration assistance, call zulily credit card services at (855) 597-4790.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Yeah, I'd call zulily and quash this. I'd also:
- check my credit report (free) at www.annualcreditreport.com
- freeze my credit at each of the major agencies: TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax.
2) I have not applied for credit with Synchrony bank or any other bank in well over a year.

I would head straight to checking your credit report to ensure that nobody else has applied for credit in your name.

You can do a free annual check of your credit at all 3 major credit bureaus at www.annualcreditreport.com You can also get free credit reports from www.creditkarma.com
www.experian.com and several others, but these typically only provide reports from one, or maybe 2 of the major credit bureaus, so you will need to go to more than one site to look at all 3.

AJ
Your zulily Credit Card is issued by Synchrony Bank.The Synchrony Bank Privacy Policy governs the use of the zulily Credit Card. The use of this site is governed by the use of the Synchrony Bank Internet Privacy Policy, which is different from the privacy policy of zulily. For login or registration assistance, call zulily credit card services at (855) 597-4790.

No, the number doesn't match. I'm to call (800) 480-0186.
I'm to call (800) 480-0186.

According to whom? The letter, which might be a scam? Then guess what: that number might also be a scam.
Also, if you want to be sure, compare the number in the letter you received to what's listed on the syncrony web site. Make sure they're the same, and its not just an attempt from a third party to get you to divulge personal info.

Just because the number isn't listed on the website doesn't mean it doesn't belong to Synchrony Bank. Having worked for a number of large call centers in several types of organizations, including banks, I can tell you that an organization the size of Synchrony Financial (>$64B in deposits, per their 2018Q4 finances) probably has dozens, if not hundreds, of TFNs (Toll Free Numbers) - often there are some that are used for specific marketing campaigns (like sending out a letter) that will never be listed on any website.

That said, if you want to call Synchrony to see if they really sent the letter, you should call the general customer service number on their website, rather than the number on the letter.

AJ
aj: I would head straight to checking your credit report to ensure that nobody else has applied for credit in your name.

Good tip. TransUnion and Equifax both showed the soft inquiries from Synchrony Bank in the last two weeks, misspelled name and all. Experian did not.

Presumably the inquiries could only have occurred if someone else is mucking around with my social security number and personal info.

I guess that makes me a candidate for putting a freeze on my account? If I do that, how much of a hassle will it be to unfreeze the next time I need a credit inquiry?

And should I contact Synchrony (via the phone number on their website, not the one in this letter) to inform them of the potential shenanigans?
Good tip. TransUnion and Equifax both showed the soft inquiries from Synchrony Bank in the last two weeks, misspelled name and all. Experian did not.

Presumably the inquiries could only have occurred if someone else is mucking around with my social security number and personal info.

Actually, soft inquiries are often generated by companies that are looking for candidates to market to. When individuals apply for credit with a company that they don't already have an account with, it's a hard inquiry, not a soft inquiry.

Given that the soft inquiries said that they were from Synchrony Bank, which you hadn't previously heard of, I suspect that as you had originally suggested might be the cast - Synchrony is trying to market to you. They used the prescreening process that generates a soft inquiry to find a group of consumers with a specific set of criteria in their credit history, and your credit history fit the bill.

If you want to opt out of being prescreened, you can call 1-800-5-OPT-OUT and you will be opted out for 5 years. There is more information on the opt out process, including how to opt out permanently here https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0148-prescreened-credi...

Note: Opting out will mean that you shouldn't get any new offers of credit from creditors that you don't already do business with, including BT offers. Some of your current creditors may also remove you from their marketing lists, so you may not get BT offers sent to you from them, either. So if you are looking for BT offers to help pay down debt, you may want to wait to opt out.

AJ
...putting a freeze on my account? If I do that, how much of a hassle will it be to unfreeze the next time I need a credit inquiry? ...

None at all! Just save the PIN they give you when you freeze.

I froze my dad's credit, then a year later switched his internet/TV/phone from Cox to Verizon FIOS. Of course, Verizon wanted to check his credit. So for that I unfroze it, and what was really cool was that I could specify what date I wanted it unfrozen and also what date I wanted it re-frozen. So, I didn't have to remember to go back later to re-freeze.
aj: Given that the soft inquiries said that they were from Synchrony Bank, which you hadn't previously heard of, I suspect that as you had originally suggested might be the cast - Synchrony is trying to market to you. They used the prescreening process that generates a soft inquiry to find a group of consumers with a specific set of criteria in their credit history, and your credit history fit the bill.

Well, that makes me feel better that I'm not a victim of identity theft.

But wow, what a back-door method of marketing to me. I get credit card offers all the time from banks I've never dealt with, and the envelopes all scream about the low rates and other benefits of signing up.

But with this, I get a plain envelope which encloses a generic, no-nonsense letter claiming that *I've* requested credit with them and that I need to call them to provide them more info before they'll bother to evaluate my request. No website is listed, just a phone number.

Looking at my credit reports, I've indirectly dealt with Synchrony Bank via applying for a Best Buy line of credit years and years ago when making a big-ticket purchase--likely some 'no interest for six months' sort of thing. This is the first time they've contacted me directly, and all by trying to fool me into dropping everything and calling them up--so that they can sell me a credit card?

No thanks.

It seems that a lot of stores use Synchrony. I have a loan on a mattress from Mattress Warehouse that uses them and I bought a washer and driver with a Lowes card through Synchrony.

PSU