Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm in the market for a new checking account and hope someone can point me in the right direction. I need (not in any order):

- Free checks (I write about 2 or 3 paper checks a month)
- Ability to direct deposit.
- Need to be able to move money to Emigrant and Vanguard, would like decent turnaround on ACH.
- Debit card
- Free or Cheap ATM
- Overdraft protection
- Online access including statements.

I'm most interested in a) low or preferably no fees and b) excellent customer service. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I like Bank of Internet USA. It does all that you are looking for plus interest.

If you're 50 or over, you can get this from several banks. It's rare to see this benefit for those under 50 without requiring a significant balance, which you probably aren't interested in given your interest in overdraft protection.

- Need to be able to move money to Emigrant and Vanguard, would like decent turnaround on ACH.
- Debit card

I think every bank will offer these services.

- Free or Cheap ATM

This shouldn't be a problem. Many online or smaller banks are offering ATM rebates to refund third party ATM fees. If you go with a large bank, then you will have access to their ATM network for free.

- Overdraft protection

You just have to check this one out on a case by case basis.

My main bank, www.pcbanker.com offers all the services you require, except free checks. But they pay 3.5% interest on checking, so that will more than pay for a box of checks every year.
Fidelity! Seriously, just open a brokerage account and use bill pay. I use and it's great. You get checks and a debit card just like any bank. Money transfers are easy with other banks and interest is high on money markets.
I've used First Internet Bank of Indiana for years and have had zero problems. Excellent customer service, I don't think I've ever been charged a fee, and ATM fee refunds.

Cheers,

- Lewellen180
cryptical,

You wrote, I'm in the market for a new checking account and hope someone can point me in the right direction. I need (not in any order):

- Debit card
- Free or Cheap ATM
- Overdraft protection

I'm most interested in a) low or preferably no fees and b) excellent customer service. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

If your preference was earning a high yield on your checking balance vs. free or cheap ATMs, I'd recommend Presidential Bank ( http://presidential.com ) which pays 4.50%APY on checking up to the first $25,000. That's what I use. I have a local credit union account for the free ATM access.

Otherwise, I hear good things about FirstIB ( http://firstib.com ), but I can't personally recommend them since I have no direct experience there.

- Joel