Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Looking for reasons to stay with VIA.B. Have held this stock since it was WX, Westingtonhouse. Anyone here remember that?

I do. I worked there. I still have a ton of VIA.B, which started life as WX, then became CBS, then VIA.B. What a long strange trip it's been.

I'd like your comments on:
A) Holding VIA.B for the longer term,
B) Trading out of VIA.B for DIS
C) Getting out of entertainment altogether
D) Any other meaningful and useful suggestions.

I used to own some Disney, but sold it off along with a lot of other media in 1999 and 2000. (AOL, GE, DIS, a lot of VIA.B) I was overweight in that sector, particularly given the WX options I cashed in when I left the company.

Haven't paid too much attention to DIS since, except for their troubles which hit the papers, of course. They have some good assets, but it's hard to see how some of the others (Theme Parks, mostly, I guess) can do better in a world of more expensive travel and already sky-high admission prices. The cable networks and the TV network could certainly improve, but the station group already does well (given the weakness in the network), and the radio group is an afterthought, at best.

Can animation come around? Maybe, but I don't see signs of it. Can "film" come around? Maybe, but letting the Weinsteins (and Pixar) leave isn't a happy harbinger. (Maybe the new guy can work something out with Jobs? Clearly Eisner can't.)

Anyway, I have some doubts; maybe they can get every division firing on all cylinders, but that's usually the exception for any far-flung enterprise. And likewise, BTW, for Viacom. Radio? Billboards? Verklempt, Sumner. Euro Disney? Uh uh, not gonna be fixed. Maybe they could open up "Jerry Lewis World"? Just a thought.

I don't know, just random mumblings. But then I'm not finding anything exciting these days, so don't listen to me.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.