Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Looking Old May Be a Sign of Heart Trouble

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/11/06/looking-old-ma...

The older you look, the worse shape your heart is in, the authors of the ongoing Copenhagen Heart Study concluded. The study, which began in 1976, followed 11,000 men and women for 35 years to find the connection between physical appearance and heart health.

Originally, the investigators paid attention to seven telltale signs of aging. They eventually found that wrinkles, gray hair and cholesterol deposits on the cornea of the eye were all part of the inevitable wear and tear on the body rather than predictors of bad health.

That left four physical traits – a receding hairline, baldness on top of the head, earlobe creases and yellow, fatty deposits around the eyelid – as visible evidence of heart disease. People with at least three of these markers for aging had a 57% increased risk for heart attack and a 39% increased risk for heart disease.

When the researchers considered gender separately, they found that hair loss in women was not linked with an increased risk of heart disease. However, the men with receding hairlines showed a 40% higher risk in men with hair loss than those without.

Kale smoothies, people.

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Originally, the investigators paid attention to seven telltale signs of aging. They eventually found that wrinkles, gray hair and cholesterol deposits on the cornea of the eye were all part of the inevitable wear and tear on the body rather than predictors of bad health.

That left four physical traits – a receding hairline, baldness on top of the head, earlobe creases and yellow, fatty deposits around the eyelid – as visible evidence of heart disease. People with at least three of these markers for aging had a 57% increased risk for heart attack and a 39% increased risk for heart disease.

Displaying signs of aging correlates with the effects of aging. Stunning finding.
Displaying signs of aging correlates with the effects of aging. Stunning finding.
-------------------------------------------
How's Cirrus doing? Last week as Apple went up Cirrus went down, now Apple is dropping like a Newton Apple. I have no idea what to invest in right now, there is no good sector.
More importantly, check your teeth. Bacteria may be brewing in your teeth that can foul up your heart.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Cirrus had a great quarter...blowout earnings. Then raised guidance huge for the Dec quarter. They are growing about 100% year over year!! They just tripled their content value (price they get paid for their chips) in each iPhone and iPad (including the new mini iPad). There is a slight pressure on margins because of the volume of sales. I think since they are getting such huge business from Apple, they are forcing them to shave a bit on the margin (typical....discount for volume).

And what the hell happens? The stock dropped 20%?? WTF?? I am still trying to figure out what happened. A message board I visit for the stock....all the people there are at a loss as to why the stock dropped like that. Many are very experienced there. It should have surged 10-20%, as it had over the last 2 quarters after each earnings release. No one has an answer. Some proposed that it was end of the year selling for many of the hedge funds, and wanted to lock in their gains. Many were looking for a reason to sell. To be fair, many other tech tied to Apple has dove in stock price over the recent weeks (including Apple). Cirrus was up something incredible like 180% so far this year. That's been trimmed to 100% (still not bad). In this market 100% in less than a year, most people would kill for. They are still trying expand their base of revenues...they make too much from one single customer (Apple). And people fear that if Apple ever pulls the plug, it could be dangerous. But at this point, they are great partners and will be so for the foreseeable future.

Cirrus is currently trading at $32 or so. Again, they are slated to pull in massive earnings in Dec and March....there are 7 analysts following them. Price targets range from $44 to $64....median being around $54.

Yeah, I think given the inexplicable fall (and not justified IMO), it's a good time to get in.
there's going to be lots of selling of winners in the next two months to beat the inevitable rise in Cap Gains rates...

folks will lock in their gains.

Also with taxes going up on dividends, they look less attractive to many. Why dink around with 3.5% dividends at 30% tax rates when you can get better than that on fixed investments, MLPs, REITs even after taxes?

t.
No. of Recommendations: 5
Kale smoothies, people.

--fleg

This is a reason to live?

Do you ever solve those math puzzles that you work on?;)

Since when are receding hairline, baldness on top, earlobe creases and yellow fatty deposits around the eyelids signs of aging? I'm old and I don't have any of them. If I did, I'd be making an appointment with a cardiologist.

--fleg
No. of Recommendations: 3
Kale smoothies, people.

--fleg

It makes life seem longer...
Since when are receding hairline, baldness on top, earlobe creases and yellow fatty deposits around the eyelids signs of aging? I'm old and I don't have any of them

Then you're not displaying signs of aging. <g> Chronological and biological aging are two separate paths.
However, the men with receding hairlines showed a 40% higher risk in men with hair loss than those without.

Needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Early baldness/receding hairline run in my family. Showing up as early as 18. Have two great pic of Pap (grandfather). First he is 18, in his army uniform, heading off to WWI, think full head of hair. The second, he is about 20, marrying Granny, slick as a cue ball.

Here is the kicker. With that good Viking heritage, high HDLs run in the family. We all kick the bucket in late 80s to late 90s.

Besides, you guys have seen enough pics of me, bald headed but very young looking. So young that when I was single and 40 they tried to set me up with a 25 year old. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

JLC
No. of Recommendations: 2
"Besides, you guys have seen enough pics of me, bald headed but very young looking. So young that when I was single and 40 they tried to set me up with a 25 year old. Don't hate the player, hate the game." - JLC

Besides which how long someone lives isn't the only measure of a life. You've had an incredibly good life. You've traveled all over the world, touched and helped a lot of people being a doctor, made love to different women, been financially successful, probably eaten a lot of good and interesting food in your travels and living Louisana, so from that standpoint I would say that the overall measurement or balance of your life has been good.

Who you love and who loves you. At the very end of life that is only measurement that probably really counts. That is what we will be thinking about.

We won't be thinking about our money or stock portfolios or politics or probably even religion. We'll be thinking about our loved ones.

Art
Kale smoothies, people.

--fleg

I know this is fun to joke about, but you can enjoy 'green' smoothies without the bad taste. I had a big lunch yesterday so last night, I made a smoothie for dinner that tasted great.

Walnuts, dates, flaxseed, barley grass powder, ice and coconut milk. Sometimes I add spinach, kale or swiss chard. It looks green but tastes very, very good. You can add other flavors like vanilla, carob or any frozen fruit you want. You don't even taste the greens. It's like drinking a malt except no refined sugar or dairy. All ingredients are good for you.

I started losing a little hair in the front at age 28, genetic in my family. But right after 30, I started my health food craze of mostly vegan and avoided toxic foods. The hairline creep stopped completely and has pretty much remained the same since. Most men in my family have lost over 50% of their hair my age (almost 51).

I've read testimonies of some people who went all raw vegan for years and actually restored their lost hair. But I don't know anybody personally.

decath
Since when are receding hairline, baldness on top, earlobe creases and yellow fatty deposits around the eyelids signs of aging? I'm old and I don't have any of them. If I did, I'd be making an appointment with a cardiologist.

--fleg

I remember you having a background in chiropractor care. Do you still go to one yourself? If so, do you think that helps your overall health?

decath
I know this is fun to joke about, but you can enjoy 'green' smoothies without the bad taste. I had a big lunch yesterday so last night, I made a smoothie for dinner that tasted great.

Walnuts, dates, flaxseed, barley grass powder, ice and coconut milk. Sometimes I add spinach, kale or swiss chard. It looks green but tastes very, very good. You can add other flavors like vanilla, carob or any frozen fruit you want. You don't even taste the greens. It's like drinking a malt except no refined sugar or dairy. All ingredients are good for you.

My attempts at green shakes failed. They were really really bad.
Besides which how long someone lives isn't the only measure of a life. You've had an incredibly good life. You've traveled all over the world, touched and helped a lot of people being a doctor, made love to different women, been financially successful, probably eaten a lot of good and interesting food in your travels and living Louisana, so from that standpoint I would say that the overall measurement or balance of your life has been good.

You are absolutely, 100% correct. Too often I lose sight of this. I have had a blessed, charmed, lucky, amazing life. And hopefully I'm not 1/2 finished.

JLC
vkg

A common mistake is to add too much greens. Then it will taste like lawn mowing clippings. <g>

decath
No. of Recommendations: 6
vkg

A common mistake is to add too much greens. Then it will taste like lawn mowing clippings. <g>

decath
-------------------------------------------
Absolutely decath. What i like to do is eliminate the greens and put in ice cream and fun sized candy bars. It is soooo good.....and good for you.
A common mistake is to add too much greens. Then it will taste like lawn mowing clippings.

I like to throw in the sports section. Then it tastes like newspaper clippings.

--fleg
Stick to real fruit smoothies. You get the nutrients from fruits, and it tastes good (even with no sugar added). yeah, fructose is in there. But Kale and Spinach smoothies are definitely an acquired taste...or never acquired taste.
I like to throw in the sports section. Then it tastes like newspaper clippings.

--fleg

Someone is apparently overdosing on testosterone.....my goodness, sports this, sports that, sports in my pants, sports on my cereal!!!

Someone has completely flipped on sports. Need more posts from Fleg on the calm serenity from the consumption of an olive oil splattered Arugula dinner.
Absolutely decath. What i like to do is eliminate the greens and put in ice cream and fun sized candy bars. It is soooo good.....and good for you.

I usually put the blender all the way at the other end of the kitchen so I get an aerobic impact each time I get a serving.
Kale and Spinach smoothies are definitely an acquired taste...or never acquired taste.

Spinach is a good substitute for lettuce in salads. Kale is better cooked with oil and bacon. But DW had a raw kale salad at a friend's house and she said it was really good. The kale was chopped up in little pieces and mixed with other stuff. I don't know any more about it. I had kale the other night as a side dish with sea scallops (not bay scallops). It was very well cooked and quite tasty.

--fleg
"I remember you having a background in chiropractor care. Do you still go to one yourself? If so, do you think that helps your overall health?"
decath

My wife goes to a chiropractor on Saturday mornings. I think mostly because he looks like Josh Groban. She told me he takes like ten seconds and pushes on her lower back and then charges her like $30. He runs those women through there like cattle through a cattle chute.

Art
"My attempts at green shakes failed. They were really really bad." vkg

Same here. I don't really like veggie shakes. Tried them, didn't like them. I prefer my salads in a bowl with Italian or Balsamic dressing. I like cooked veggies. I cooked a head of cauliflower this evening and we ate it with some Kraft Cheez Whiz that Aunt Pat gave us.

We've got a Vita-mix. My favorite smoothies are made with whole milk, frozen fruit, and thistle honey (or any other light mild flavored honey). I blenderize the hell out of them till they are like ice cream.

Art
aol
Stick to real fruit smoothies. You get the nutrients from fruits, and it tastes good (even with no sugar added). yeah, fructose is in there. But Kale and Spinach smoothies are definitely an acquired taste...or never acquired taste.

They have barley/alfalfa grass (super food drinks) that have been around for years.

They all taste bad and take a while to get aquired so that you can at least drink it without 'ralphing'.

But recently they've come out with flavored barley/alfalfa grass drinks with stevia mixed in. They taste good. I'll mix them in with a smoothie or just drink them alone with water.

I have a garden which currently has some swiss chard growing in it. I'll mix a little of that with a smoothie at times. But it is strong so I limit how much.

decath
Kale smoothies, people.

--fleg

Brazilian Bowl near me makes a good one. Maybe I'll get one tomorrow.

The Brazilian restaurant near me makes great-tasting kale smoothies by combining the kale with fruit -- they put in bananas and I forget what else. The color comes out nice and green, but you only taste the fruit, not the kale.
Someone is apparently overdosing on testosterone.....my goodness, sports this, sports that, sports in my pants, sports on my cereal!!!

Someone has completely flipped on sports. Need more posts from Fleg on the calm serenity from the consumption of an olive oil splattered Arugula dinner.

Now if I start yapping on sports all the time, you'll know that something is really, really wrong -- like my RECF account having been hijacked. <grin>
My wife goes to a chiropractor on Saturday mornings. I think mostly because he looks like Josh Groban. She told me he takes like ten seconds and pushes on her lower back and then charges her like $30. He runs those women through there like cattle through a cattle chute.

Art

Yeah, a Josh Groban look-alike pushing on your lower back... that would definitely be something.

Last night I had no fewer than three sex dreams about this guy:

http://www.malecelebnews.com/wp-content/images/2011/04/iidav...

Very vivid, too. I think I'm making more memory engrams in my sleep than I am during my waking hours, alas.
They have barley/alfalfa grass (super food drinks) that have been around for years.

They all taste bad and take a while to get aquired so that you can at least drink it without 'ralphing'.

But recently they've come out with flavored barley/alfalfa grass drinks with stevia mixed in. They taste good. I'll mix them in with a smoothie or just drink them alone with water.

I do brewer's yeast sometimes, mixed in milk. That's about as bad tasting as I want to get. But I use Lewis Labs brand, which actually tastes pretty mild compared to most others -- and over the years I've gotten quite used to it.
"Last night I had no fewer than three sex dreams about this guy:" - andrew

He has no body hair. How embarrassing! He lookee like a boy!

Art
He has no body hair.

All the better to show off the muscular pecs and six-pack abs. If you've got it, flaunt it, I say. <grin>