No. of Recommendations: 0
LooseChange,
I agree. Perhaps the benefits could be limited, not denied. I'm not a Robin Hood either, but $68K is "chump change" to a lot of people in our society. If the upgraded SS program provided "well-off" people with the option to forgo SS and Medicare benefits, then I would support tax credits in some form (one less cruise missle to blow up a tent in a desert somewhere).

People do go broke. I'm sure even the "well-off" would be comforted knowing that fiscally sound SS and Medicare programs are there for them if needed. Perhaps their biggest reward for doing the right thing is their own security. If we do not deal with the distribution of wealth responsibly in this country, I certainly wouldn't want to be rich - would you?
--TL
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.