Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Is anyone reading this in light of the upcoming movie? I got through Book 1 and halfway through Book 2 on the plane last week. I keep forgetting how old I am and that it's been what, 17 years since I read them.

Grandma6
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've read it so many times, I think I know it by heart.

Beth
I got through Book 1 and halfway through Book 2 on the plane last week.

Either that was a long plane ride or you read a bit faster than I do. Tell me you were flying round trip to Australia.
I'm reading it to my daughter. We are 1/3 of the way through the first book.

Two years ago I reread them. Great stuff.

Frolix8
Is anyone reading this in light of the upcoming movie?

Way back in the 6th grade my teacher lent me The Hobbit to read and I loved it. It wasn't until many years later in college that I rediscovered it and then went on to read the Lord of the Rings. I have read it several times since and it remains among my all-time favorites. I'm not so sure about the film though. It will have to get wonderful reviews before I will even consider watching it. I'm afraid it would spoil too many images for me.

Sharon
Either that was a long plane ride or you read a bit faster than I do. Tell me you were flying round trip to Australia.

RT from Minneapolis to Ft. Lauderdale, layover in St. Louis.

I do read fast.

Is anyone reading this in light of the upcoming movie?

I reread it a few years ago on general principles, another reading certainly wouldn't hurt. However, I hope that you redid The Hobbit first ;-)...Dave.
"Is anyone reading this in light of the upcoming movie?"

The upcoming movie was my motivation too. I read LOTR several times while in high school and college (late 60's early 70's), then I forgot about them until my own kids were in middle school - they liked it too. So it's been about 30 years since my last reading. I took me about 150 pages or so to get into it, but now I'm about halfway through The Two Towers and I can't wait to get home after work to pick it up again. I'm quite pleased at how well it has held up.

Jeff
I just re-read it (last time was 20 years ago) and loved it. It really is a great work of literature, and doesn't get the credit it deserves.
I've read that series so many times that I've nearly ruined it for myself. I decided that I'm not picking it up again until I've forgotten parts of it. Eight years later, I'm still occasionally picking it up and putting it back down again.

So I've really got a bad feeling about the movie - I mean, just try to name a movie version of a fantasy or SF novel that hasn't totally effed it up (well, maybe Lathe of Heaven). The images in my head of certain parts are too special to me. Any movie version is bound to leave me snarling and snapping in frustration.

Kate
Any movie
version is bound to leave me snarling and snapping in frustration.

But, one can hope that LOTR will be introduced to many new readers via the movie. It sure appears as though the publishers of LOTR are hoping that will be the case, if the new book covers are any indication.

Frolix8

...one can hope that LOTR will be introduced to many new readers via the movie. It sure appears as though the publishers of LOTR are hoping that will be the case, if the new book covers are any indication.

I haven't seen the new covers, I guess I'll take a look out of curiosity. I really can't imagine that there's anyone who doesn't already know and love LOTR. Oh, I forgot, there are millions of people out there who just don't read much. Silly me.

Kate

"I really can't imagine that there's anyone who doesn't already know and love LOTR. Oh, I forgot, there are millions of people out there who just don't read much. Silly me."

You're right, not many people read anymore. Since most of us first read LOTR in our teens, the movie could get millions of kids to actually switch off the MTV and read a book for a change, if they like the movie.

You're right, not many people read anymore. Since most of us first read LOTR in our teens, the movie could get millions of kids to actually switch off the MTV and read a book for a change, if they like the movie.

Or at least the novelisation. That must rank as one of the most depressing thoughts I've ever had...

I hope they do make a good job of the movie and bring a new audience to the real thing.

Martin

Re LOTR, mswatts writes: "I hope they do make a good job of the movie and bring a new audience to the real thing."

I hope you're right, but I have this mental image that it's going to be a cross between Xena and the Stonehenge scene in Spinal Tap. Perhaps my expectations are so low that I can't help but enjoy it.

Jeff
I feel confident that it will be the best movie trilogy based on a work by J.R.R. Tolkien in the history of cinema.
I feel confident that it will be the best movie trilogy based on a work by J.R.R. Tolkien in the history of cinema.
I can't remember a movie trilogy based on LotR. I can remember a film covering part of it by Ralph (Spit) Bakshi, so this can only be an improvement.

Lost