Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I haven't found my (prescription) sunglasses since Saturday. I rarely misplace things, but searched and can't find them in the house or car, so I think they may have fallen off when perched on top of my head in a store or parking lot, especially if I bent over. I called the last 2 stores I went to (trader joe's & whole foods). tj's had one pair that said something like "police" on them and wrong color frame. WF said they had about 40 pair, and I'm welcome to take a look!

I'm either wearing my glasses or my sunglasses except in the shower, washing my face, or asleep. I only wear my sunglasses to drive or walk outside. When I arrive at my destination after driving, I perch my sunglasses on my head and put on my clear glasses. When I get home, I put my sunglasses in, on, or next to my purse. Once in a while I leave them in the car (in one of 2 spots). DH has never moved them AFAIK. Maybe I need an ol' lady chain, like people use for reading glasses.

Am about to take the hubster to the doc and will do another search of the car. But it's well cleaned out so no hope really...

Alas, the hubster just fell asleep. Sometimes I fervently wish he'd nap, other times it's inconvenient.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
FWIW, perching them on your head is just asking to lose them. My mom used to do that also.

Put them in their case, and put the case in the bag (fanny pack, purse, whatever). Or even leave them in the car (though, in AZ, expect your nose and behind your ears not to be happy for several minutes when you put them on after being in your car!).

1poorlady often loses her phone. At least in the house we have a Google Home device, and we can ask "find me phone", and Google will make it ring. I occasionally misplace my phone also. Basically, if I set it someplace unusual. So I have specific places I put it, which minimizes losing it.
Put one of those tracking devices on your glasses. That way, when you lose them, you can see where they are by going online and seeing where the tracker is (and thus find your glasses).
No. of Recommendations: 2
I haven't found my (prescription) sunglasses since Saturday.
Alas, the hubster just fell asleep. Sometimes I fervently wish he'd nap, other times it's inconvenient.

I wonder - if he found your sunglasses somewhere, what would he do with them? He seems to want to help.

CNC
Oh well...you have correctly classified me as an "Old Lady". I wear cheap reading glasses on a cord around my neck....

I have 13 pairs of cheap dollar store reading glasses around the house at the moment . I lose them everywhere so I make sure I have something around my neck at important times. It's a nuisance when I wear a seat belt when I am driving but at least I have one pair close at hand. Those darn glasses have little legs and run away all the time!!!!!!

I was checking through Customs one time and the Customs guy was horrified to see I had 10 pairs of cheap glasses in my case and a pair around my neck.....( he probably thought I was smuggling them to trade overseas....)

I only need them for my computer, or reading books and stuff...I am very far sighted and can see separate leaves on trees far away....

Hope you find your prescription ones.....that is a serious problem.
Put one of those tracking devices on your glasses. That way, when you lose them, you can see where they are by going online and seeing where the tracker is (and thus find your glasses).

I have both “Tile” and whatever the Apple thingie is that does the same thing. They’re both far too large to put on a pair of glasses. Maybe on a Roomba or a dog collar, but otherwise they’re just too cumbersome.

If you’re tracking your SO then you could slip one in their purse or watch pocket maybe, but that would be a cruddy thing to do. I’m sure I’m not the first one to think of it, though, given the state of the country today.
Altho like Tile and such, too large for glasses, Apple released AirTags a while ago, look pretty handy, but I don't seem to lose stuff, so far...

https://www.apple.com/airtag/

(Yes, Apple investor)
As soon as I posted above, I realized, yes, indeed I had lost something.. My Wallet! Long before AirTags, but it could have saved me $200+ and all the hassle of cancelling CCs, drivers license replacement and all the other cards and such I had in there.. Never found it...

I had gotten cash for dinner at a fav Mex restaurant at an ATM, had trouble, sitting in the PU getting my wallet in my pocket, so I think when we got out in the gravel parking lot, it must have fallen, but I went back, asked inside, never did find a bit of it...

An AirTag, tucked in a corner would have tracked it down.. Maybe empty, but at least found...
Altho like Tile and such, too large for glasses, Apple released AirTags a while ago

Fairly easy to fix, IMO. Attach a small chain with a largish tag on the end to the glasses. The chain (or whatever you want to use or you find that works) is just to keep the tag away from your face (and out of the way) when you are wearing them. It hangs down in back or front (your choice--no big deal). Put the tracking Tile or whatever on the tag--and then the glasses can be tracked if lost.
Thx for the ideas.

My purse is too small to hold a glasses case. Only because my sunglasses are on the dainty side can I stuff them in the purse on top. (I'm not supposed to carry a non-very-light-weight purse because of neck issues--order of the PT!)

I used to leave my sunglasses in the car, but now that I'm slightly disabled (broken leg never fully healed...well I'm sure the bones did, but not the ligaments attaching to my foot). Yes, this is relevant--I have to go down the steps (that I fell down to break my leg) to get to my car if I want my sunglasses for a neighborhood walk, which I take most days w/the hubster. I'm uneasy on those steps--no landing and one must pivot + reach behind oneself to close the door. I can;t ask the hubster to do that for me because he can't understand what I'm saying. Anyhow, that's how I broke my leg... I do go up and down those steps a few times a day as trash & recycling (and tools--and the car!) are in the garage. But I do avoiud nonessential trips.
I've been wearing glasses for 33 years and never misplaced or lost a pair before, so a tracking device seems overkill. And if it's anything like the hubster's tracking device, it's much too big--and heavy--for glasses. Also, his tracker registers HOME for anything within a couple hundred feet so it wouldn't help me find anything, even him!--within the house/yard.
I wonder - if he found your sunglasses somewhere, what would he do with them? He seems to want to help.

No idea. He has been known to put my sandals on his feet so maybe he'd put my sunglasses on his face! In which case I'd find them immediately ;-)
If you’re tracking your SO then you could slip one in their purse or watch pocket maybe

If I put his tracker in his pocket, he'd probably throw it out. I bought an add-on clip to thread it through his belt (so he always has to wear his skinny belt). I call it his "lucky charm" ;-)

ASIDE
He just woke up to pee and I noticed he isn't wearing his pj bottoms or underpants. Which he was when he went to bed. While he was in the bathroom, I hunted for them. No dice. huh. I've been really strict (& MEAN!) about his not removing clothing (other than outerwear) anyplace but the master suite. So he doesn't flash anyone.
I just realized why I may have lost my glasses while they were perched on my head. My hair is thinning on top and hairline moving up at the corners. Happened to my mom as well, but not til her 80s (she's heading toward 96). I'm in about the same boat she is at only 72 :-( Anyhow, my hair may no longer be thick enough to support glasses properly. It isn't visibly thin to others--I used to have exrraordinarily thhick hair, and because it's still curlyish and bouncy, only my hairdresser would know for sure (if I had one--been cutting my own hair for almost 20 years--except when I lived in NYC for 18 months). I hope I'll look good in turbans...
Losing phones...a rare occurrence for me. I have cell phone brackets next to my den recliner and on my bedside table. Unless I'm using my phone or I'm out and it's in my purse (or on the car console when I use it as a GPS) or I'm using it on speaker while cooking, that's where my phone is. Except!! once in a blue moon when I'm holding my phone and DH or a visitor derails me. Happened a few days ago when DH's aide brought him home and I was checking my calendar on the phone for future appts and put the phone down on the dining table when she handed me his mini-pill-box (she had him over lunch time on Monday so I gave her his mid-day pills).
Alstro, I’ve been wearing glasses full time since I was 7 or 8. I have only one pair of glasses (although I always keep a previous pair in the drawer in case I break the current one.) My glasses are “progressive,” so I don’t need three pair, one for distance, one for reading, and one for the computer. Also, they are “transitions,” so when I go outdoors they darken into sunglasses. It takes maybe 30 seconds for them to darken when I step outside into bright sunlight, which is fine, but it takes a little longer, maybe a whole minute for them to fade to clear when I go back inside.

Yes, they cost a lot, but I take good care of them, and except for when I’m asleep or in the shower or someone’s pool they are always on my face, and most pairs I have owned last me three years or so.

Trini
I had transition glasses awhile back, maybe 10 years ago. I felt like they never got completely clear for indoors. I could give them another try--maybe they're better now. At the moment, I'm using a crummy pair of wraparounds over my glasses. I assume my current prescription will be good for a while since the surgeries.

ASIDE
I need to get a new license next year. I will request an eye test if they don't ask me to take it--I think I might be able to pass without glasses. After all, I had my cataracts fixed and my prescription is pretty weak. But glasses do help me see more clearly. Even so, I don't have the eyesight I used to.

FURTHER ASIDE
Found the hubster's missing underpants on the kitchen floor by the garbage pail, and his pj bottoms on the guest bed(!). No, not peed in. Not even the garbage was peed in. But he left unflushed pee in the guest toilet. It's getting harder for him to remember all the steps required to pee! (Navigate to a toilet, turn on light. undo or pull down pants, reach into underpants fly or pull down underpants, successfully aim into the toilet and let 'er rip, or sit and likewise, er--wring out the last drops, flush, put underpants and pants back together, TP if poo too, wash hands, turn off light, find your way back. Alas, the wash-hands step hasn't been happening for quite a while now. And he needs help with some of the other steps these days. When I can't find a unisex/family bathroom in public, I will soon need to either bring him into the ladies or accompany him into the gents. He prefers to pee in a urinal, so I think the gents.
I'm a fan of fanny packs. Though I usually where mine in the front (genital pack??). No stress on the shoulders or neck, better than pants pockets, unobtrusive. Not as large as a typical purse, but large enough to carry a wallet, keys, and glasses. While I have multiple cases, I only use one. Either my sunglasses or normal glasses are in there, the other being on my face (except when I sleep).

Alternatively, get a tether for your glasses. They'll always be around your neck, and you just pop them on when needed. I had a prof (or two) in college that did that.
My purse is too small to hold a glasses case. Only because my sunglasses are on the dainty side can I stuff them in the purse on top. (I'm not supposed to carry a non-very-light-weight purse because of neck issues--order of the PT!)

Are the neck straps with clips to hold your sun glasses still available?

CNC
Many years ago I got a new glasses that came with a magnetic clip-on sunglasses. I have refused to give up on those frames - just replace the lenses as needed. At least once I had the optometrist solder a new nose support on and the old one was coming off.

I also have a number of clip-on shades, but I like the magnetic one better. Don't even know why.

CNC
1pg: I'm a fan of fanny packs. Though I usually where mine in the front (genital pack??).

You ignorant Arizonan! That's called a Belly Bag.

CNC
Many years ago I got a new glasses that came with a magnetic clip-on sunglasses.

I had a pair like that, too--and I loved them. Lost the sunglasses part while traveling in India. I think I left them on a train.
I'm a fan of fanny packs. Though I usually where mine in the front

Do I HAFTA call attention to my belly fat?!
Don't worry. They'll be looking at the hubster removing his pants rather than your fanny pack.

:-)