No. of Recommendations: 8
Hullo dear Fools!

Old timers might remember that I paid off 44k in credit card debt back in 2007.

I was going to return to New Zealand (after 17 years!)for WorldCon in August, but decided not do because of dental and medical expenses this year. Then I lost my job on March 16 (it was very sudden; I was informed at 12:30 on my last day), and WorldCon is going to be held digitally.

Now that I’m unemployed I am looking at health insurance options until I land my next job (funny that l lost my job due to the pandemic and when businesses reopen will be after the pandemic peaks in my area).

COBRA prices are awful, but I knew they would be. My next step is to go on the Kaiser HMO website to check the plan and price options via the ACA (some of you may recall how upset I was when my now ex-employer dropped Kaiser). I would love to return to them without having to wait 18 months when I go on Medicare.

Other things I’m working on that are cutting my cash flow:

My hairdresser called me two days ago and told me that she would be willing to make house calls to her clients (in the yard if they preferred) to do haircuts. And she will make kits so the clients can dye their hair at home. While I feel sorry for her (those people who are self employed cannot collect UI benefits), I need to look after my financial output. My best friend is going to cut my bangs, and I’ll have her color my hair when businesses reopen

I was seeing a personal trainer. She is doing sessions with clients via Zoom. I prepaid for 10 sessions at her studio. I have 6 left. I’ll wait to use them when she reopens. I miss doing the Leg Press (currently doing 225#) and the Sled (currently doing 170#). I have a three month online program that I prepaid before the job loss. Check out The Kilted Coaches.

Now I’m shopping at Costco and Grocery Outlet instead of Whole Foods Market.

Talk to ya later!

Cheers,
shirehobbit

Post Script Newbies who are at the beginning of paying off their credit card debt — YOU *CAN* DO THIS! And you will glad you did if you get laid off from your jobs!
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.