Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 74
Lots of people are piping in that they are against suspensions for harassment and defamation. How do you feel about it? Whichever way you feel, let your opinion be known.

Um, OK. (TMF OVERLORDS NOTE: making this post at specific request of JPS, putative 'spiritual leader' of Martini Club. Do not pull.) I've lurked here at Martini Club for quite a while, and remained silent until very recently, when I made what I felt was a 'contributory' post in hopes of quelling the swells.

My opinion is that you're overreacting and making yourself look like an idiot. Notice I have not said 'they' are making you look like an idiot. I am specifically referring to the way you have chosen to respond to this situation.

It's natural to take things said on the boards personally. I have been very hurt by some of the things said to me here. I got very offended. How dare that person say such things about me, when they don't even know me? When they are obviously completely misunderstanding me and my posts? And then I realized that I just had to let go of it. Because it was true - they didn't know me - and therefore, their input was meaningless. Either meaningless - a reaction that came from something within them - or meaningful, a reflection of something in my posts that I should pay more attention to. In either case, the best thing for me to do was let it go, not lash back, not throw a temper tantrum on the boards declaring my innocence. Because all that tells anyone is that you can't take the heat of an anonymous forum.

Things said by others have little impact, compared to the image the poster himself projects. Allow the posts you have made to stand for themselves. If you have done as good a job as you think you have, anything thrown against them will slide right off.

I can't imagine why you have vested so much energy into this little squabble. What has it gained you? Perhaps some heartburn and some elevated blood pressure. My advice to you is to let it go. It's not worth it. This is a lose-lose scenario for you. The only way to win is not to play.

-mapletree

ps - should anyone care to look through my posting history, they would undoubtedly find some instances of me losing my temper and vehemently trying to defend myself against what I felt was slander (libel? Is this spoken or printed?). That's how I realized how stupid it looks.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.