No. of Recommendations: 1
Lots of people have felt the "spirit of the lord". I also claim that is false. Not that they felt something, just that they are not interpreting correctly unless they can provide evidence indicating they are.

Now you are just being biased. Most scientists I know agree that the existence of a supernatural God is not something that can be tested by science. That being the case, the only evidence available is the religious experience itself. If you haven't had that experience you are in no position to judge.

Same here. I'm aware of the subjective feeling you're referring to. I experience it also. That does not mean my interpretation of it (or yours) is correct. Without objective proof we are just pontificating. Which is fine so long as we recognize that's what we're doing.

To be honest, the only ones claiming any degree of certainty on the issue are those arguing the impossibility of free will. I just happen to be skeptical of those arguments.

I'll ask again, why is your admitted personal experience of free will, that your conscious mind makes decisions, less believable than your personal experience of consciousness? You believe in the experience of consciousness but disbelieve the experience of conscious choice. Why the difference? If your consciousness can't make choices, what is it there for?

And if you truly believe that your brain is deceiving you about something as fundamental as the experience that your mind can make willful choices, then I wonder what experiences can you trust. You feel no free will is more believable than free will. How do you know that belief itself isn't a deception? Things gets pretty confusing once you assume your brain is untrustworthy.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.