Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 22
Michelle Obama said that lately she's been suffering a kind of "low-grade depression." "Not just because of the quarantine," she said, "but because of the racial strife, and just seeing this administration, watching the hypocrisy of it, day in and day out, is dispiriting."

She's not alone. I went for a long run today to lift my spirits. I could not help but reflect on the damage Donald Trump has inflicted upon the United States in the brief time he's been President. Like the pathological bully he is, he identified this country's vulnerabilities and shortcomings, and he picked at them relentlessly, tearing America apart and inflicting grievous harm upon its people and its institutions.

That he and his enablers in Congress will go down to defeat in November is all but assured, no matter how hard they try to undermine the electoral process, foment violence in our cities, and kill off as many Democratic voters as they can by obstructing prudent measures to combat the pandemic. Despite their looming defeat, I am not at all confident that the damage can be repaired. As someone who has spent more than half a century studying, teaching, and participating in U.S. politics, I too am dispirited. But I will continue to fight in every way I can.

Donald Trump is a racist authoritarian and a certifiable psychopath. At every turn, he has used the Presidency as a mechanism to enrich himself and his mobster family. Americans who cheer him on are complicit in the damage done to our country. They are of an ugly piece with the fans of antidemocratic authoritarians everywhere from Brazil to Hungary to the Philippines.

Whose side are you on?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/06/us/michelle-obama-depress...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.