Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 22
Michelle Obama said that lately she's been suffering a kind of "low-grade depression." "Not just because of the quarantine," she said, "but because of the racial strife, and just seeing this administration, watching the hypocrisy of it, day in and day out, is dispiriting."

She's not alone. I went for a long run today to lift my spirits. I could not help but reflect on the damage Donald Trump has inflicted upon the United States in the brief time he's been President. Like the pathological bully he is, he identified this country's vulnerabilities and shortcomings, and he picked at them relentlessly, tearing America apart and inflicting grievous harm upon its people and its institutions.

That he and his enablers in Congress will go down to defeat in November is all but assured, no matter how hard they try to undermine the electoral process, foment violence in our cities, and kill off as many Democratic voters as they can by obstructing prudent measures to combat the pandemic. Despite their looming defeat, I am not at all confident that the damage can be repaired. As someone who has spent more than half a century studying, teaching, and participating in U.S. politics, I too am dispirited. But I will continue to fight in every way I can.

Donald Trump is a racist authoritarian and a certifiable psychopath. At every turn, he has used the Presidency as a mechanism to enrich himself and his mobster family. Americans who cheer him on are complicit in the damage done to our country. They are of an ugly piece with the fans of antidemocratic authoritarians everywhere from Brazil to Hungary to the Philippines.

Whose side are you on?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/06/us/michelle-obama-depress...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 7
We all thought HRC was going to win in 2016, and look how that turned out.

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not convinced the electoral map has changed very much. He'll lose the popular vote by a larger margin that last time, but it's the EC that counts.

Don't count your chickens...
No. of Recommendations: 4
Don't count your chickens...

Apparently I was too subtle. I'm hardly counting chickens. My concern is that even if Democrats sweep, the damage may be irreparable. Trump and his enablers are symptoms of underlying diseases in America, ones that perhaps cannot be cured at this stage. Also, Democrats are not entirely innocent bystanders.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Trump and his enablers are symptoms of underlying diseases in America, ones that perhaps cannot be cured at this stage.

Right wing dictator-loving wackos are not a new invention. They’ve been around ever since the American Revolution, when they were called Loyalists, Tories, Royalists, and no doubt a few other choice names.
Loyalists were opposed by the Patriots, who supported the revolution and called the Loyalists "persons inimical to the liberties of America". Prominent Loyalists repeatedly assured the British government that many thousands of them would spring to arms and fight for the crown. The British government acted in expectation of that, especially in the southern campaigns in 1780–81. In practice, the number of Loyalists in military service was far lower than expected since Britain could not effectively protect them
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyalist_%28American_Revolutio...

The Dems need to stop playing nice to them, sympathizing with them, coddling them, daintily calling their lies "mistruths" and giving their witless representatives air time... and start playing hardball.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Michelle Obama said that lately she's been suffering a kind of "low-grade depression."

www.nytimes.com/2020/08/05/opinion/coronavirus-mental-illnes...
Let’s start with the numbers. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, roughly one in 12 American adults reported symptoms of an anxiety disorder at this time last year; now it’s more than one in three. Last week, the Kaiser Family Foundation released a tracking poll showing that for the first time, a majority of American adults — 53 percent — believes that the pandemic is taking a toll on their mental health....

DB2
We all thought HRC was going to win in 2016, and look how that turned out.

Hmmm. Biden's lead over Trump has dropped and is now almost identical to HRC's in early August 2016.

The RCP aggregate has Biden up by +6.4 and on August 6, 2016 Hillary was up by 6.3
www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/trump-vs-...

DB2
No. of Recommendations: 5
Trump and his enablers are symptoms of underlying diseases in America, ones that perhaps cannot be cured at this stage. Also, Democrats are not entirely innocent bystanders.

Post-truth land of the free and home of the brave.

We're being hoisted by our own Constitutional petard that protect dishonest speech.

Liars and cheats have taken over...and they're protected by lawyers who can successfully defend their lies and cheating by suing the freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution.

Much of the lying and cheating is too complicated for the layperson to understand.

Now we've elected a carnival barker whose lies are actually embraced by a substantial % of the population. They do not read or listen to criticism of their guy. They only watch and listen to sources that confirm their bias, regardless of the truth.

A post-truth world.
The Dems need to stop playing nice to them, sympathizing with them, coddling them, daintily calling their lies "mistruths" and giving their witless representatives air time... and start playing hardball.

Soon after his inauguration, I asked 2 retired staffers of USA Today and Washington Post why their papers tiptoed around the fact that Trump was incessantly lying. Why use all these euphemisms?

They replied that the papers didn't want to completely offend the POTUS & GOP because they have to coexist.

It occurs to me now that that is not a brave position. Honest media has become gutless. Dishonest media has become bolder and bolder disseminating lies. That a relative handful of doctors can unite and lie to the world (Demon semen, alien impregnation) and be praised by a carnival barking POTUS is astounding.

The press must be brave and call out lies as lies.

It must ruthlessly call out liars in the press and in in advertising.
Let’s start with the numbers. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, roughly one in 12 American adults reported symptoms of an anxiety disorder at this time last year; now it’s more than one in three.

A large part of the problem is that gaslighting liars like DB2 are protected in their incessant efforts to defeat progressive efforts to make the world a healthier place.

The "haves" use their wealth to overwhelm truth.
Also, Democrats are not entirely innocent bystanders.

Ain't that the truth. Especially the ones who stayed home in 2016 or bought the distortions, smears, and outright lies about Hillary.

Pete
Let’s start with the numbers. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, roughly one in 12 American adults reported symptoms of an anxiety disorder at this time last year; now it’s more than one in three.
---
A large part of the problem is that gaslighting liars like DB2...

Can't handle the truth, sano? Or do you think the National Center for Health Statistics is "gaslighting" you? Of course, I understand you might be more comfortable living in an echo chamber.

DB2
No. of Recommendations: 8
DB2 gaslighting: Of course, I understand you might be more comfortable living in an echo chamber.

You're a right wing gaslighter/cherrypicker. As much as I dislike the term, you are fake news.
Right wing dictator-loving wackos are not a new invention. They’ve been around ever since the American Revolution, when they were called Loyalists, Tories, Royalists, and no doubt a few other choice names.

Nazis? Before WWII there was a lot of support for Hitler and the Nazi Party. Even Charles Lindburgh was on-board with their goals and ideals.
...a majority of American adults — 53 percent — believes that the pandemic is taking a toll on their mental health....

One data point: not me!

I'm liking not going to an office every day. Waking up when I want to. Not dealing with traffic and idiot drivers. If not for 1poorlady going through chemo, this would be great.

The only thing is that we can't travel, and getting exercise is difficult (especially when her chemo wipes her out for a week). I'm itching to get out of town. But I wouldn't call it "taking a toll on my mental health".
I think it should be an actionable offense to knowingly tell a lie.

We don't tolerate it in libel or slander, why do we tolerate it for verifiable facts? People like Alex Jones should be in jail for passing-off their made-up blather for factual information. They are certainly entitled to their opinions, and to air them as such, but they should not be entitled to knowingly create falsehoods and then claim they are true.

Jones in particular got nailed for that over Newtown, but the parents shouldn't have had to file suit. The state should have had the authority to take action.
No. of Recommendations: 2
As much as I dislike the term, you are fake news.

He's a bit more insidious than that, actually.

He doesn't claim a child sex slave ring in the basement of a pizza parlor that doesn't even have a basement. Those people just come off as stupid. He links actual stories, and then cherry-picks his excerpts to convey what he wants it to say, even if the article actually says the opposite. He can't get away with that here, but a lot of people won't click-through to determine that this is what he as done, and will accept his excerpt at face value.

He's much more intelligent in how he approaches fake news than people like Hannity or that bimbo on OANN.
I think it should be an actionable offense to knowingly tell a lie.

...and that's why I believe we're hoisted by our own Constitution petard.

People and corporations (since corporations are now 'people') have the 1st Amendment to protect most of their lies.

The Justice system cannot keep up with the liars who hurt people and things badly, much less those who hurt people and things a little bit.

My father was frequently called by the USPS as an expert medical witness in the prosecution of scams like "Grapefruit 45" and other healthcare frauds that delivered their products through the US Mail.

There are so many lying scammers now the Justice Dept cannot keep up with them. Copper bracelets and socks?

Liars and frauds are thriving in the US. Heck, we elected a POTUS who is one.

<<<"Mail fraud and wire fraud are federal crimes in the United States that involve mailing or electronically transmitting something associated with fraud. Jurisdiction is claimed by the federal government if the illegal activity crosses interstate or international borders.">>>
No. of Recommendations: 12
According to the National Center for Health Statistics, roughly one in 12 American adults reported symptoms of an anxiety disorder at this time last year; now it’s more than one in three.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that the Trump presidency is causing mental illness. This was seen before Covid came to America, as it was observed as far back as in 2017 that trump was making people ill.

More than half of Americans (59%) report being at least somewhat anxious because of the November election results, with nearly three-fourths (71%) of Americans aged 18-44 reporting feeling anxious due to the results. Nearly two-thirds of Americans (64%) agree that Donald Trump as president is causing more people to have anxiety...Half (50%) of Americans are looking for ways to cope with the negative environment; and more than a quarter (26%) are engaging in negative behavior such as drinking or smoking more often, eating unhealthily, or arguing with loved ones more frequently as a result of their election-induced anxiety. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/anger-in-the-age-ent...

The bolded part is diagnostic of a psychological disorder, when mental anxiety results in self-destructive behavior.

Now consider that since 2017, the trump administration has presided over a string of significant failures and mismanaged crises. North Korea has improved its missiles, China is expanding into the South China Sea while repressing Uighurs and Hong Kong with little US push back, Iran is restarting its nuclear program, Russia is now a power in the Middle East, Covid is uncontrolled in most of America, unemployment is higher than even during the Great Recession, state governments are heavily in debt, racial divisions are increasing, more Americans lack health insurance than in 2016, schools are bankrupt with teachers fearful of dying from the pandemic, gun deaths are on the rise, 2019 was a record year for mass shootings, opioid death and addiction rates remain very high, and our infrastructure is still falling apart. We have no national plan for dealing with Covid, no national strategy for how to reopen schools, no national blueprint for how to get people back to work even after a vaccine.

I could go on, but it is making me depressed.

Of course Americans are depressed. That's what happens when a once proud country is being destroyed piece-by-piece by the incompetence and selfishness of trump and his sycophantic supporters incapable of saying anything critical about the idiot president (like you DrBob), and who together are representative of the worst generation of Americans ever.
Of course Americans are depressed. That's what happens when a once proud country is being destroyed piece-by-piece by the incompetence and selfishness of trump and his sycophantic supporters incapable of saying anything critical about the idiot president (like you DrBob), and who together are representative of the worst generation of Americans ever.

Wish I could rec it more than once.

In 2016 it is the ONLY time I ever had a reaction to an election. My candidates didn't always win, but this was the first time that I reacted like you had told me my mother died. It was like that for about a day when I heard Trump won.

My cynicism is probably up a lot, but I'm not engaging in destructive behavior. My coping mechanism is to block Trump from my news feed, not watch any news programs, and not read any article that has "Trump" in the headline. I knew in 2016 that I would not be voting for him in 2020; that I would vote for a dead raccoon before I voted for him, so nothing he could do was going to influence my 2020 vote. And nothing I could do would influence him. So what was the point in paying attention? Ignore him and hope we survive long enough to vote him out.

Of course I think he's going to win this November. I can do four more years of ignoring, but I very much doubt America will survive four more years of Trump. At least not the America that most of us remember growing up. We will, effectively, be destroyed. Much strife will ensue.
It shouldn't surprise anyone that the Trump presidency is causing mental illness.

He certainly has enough to share.
1pg: The only thing is that we can't travel, and getting exercise is difficult (especially when her chemo wipes her out for a week).

When dad had chemo, he decided diarrhea is a hereditary disease, because it runs in your jeans.

CNC
... ok, genes
He links actual stories, and then cherry-picks his excerpts to convey what he wants it to say, even if the article actually says the opposite.

OK, 1pg. Here is what I excerpted from the NYT piece:

"Let’s start with the numbers. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, roughly one in 12 American adults reported symptoms of an anxiety disorder at this time last year; now it’s more than one in three. Last week, the Kaiser Family Foundation released a tracking poll showing that for the first time, a majority of American adults — 53 percent — believes that the pandemic is taking a toll on their mental health...."

Here is more:
"This number climbs to 68 percent if you look solely at African-Americans. The disproportionate toll the pandemic has taken on Black lives and livelihoods — made possible by centuries of structural disparities, compounded by the corrosive psychological effect of everyday racism — is appearing, starkly, in our mental health data.

"But even the luckiest among us haven’t been spared. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, 36 percent of Americans report that coronavirus-related worry is interfering with their sleep. Eighteen percent say they’re more easily losing their tempers. Thirty-two percent say it has made them over- or under-eat.

"In her own therapeutic practice, de Marneffe has noticed that families with pre-existing tensions and frailties are doing much worse: The pandemic has only provided more opportunities for struggling couples to communicate poorly, roll their eyes and project rotten motives onto one another. (“And marriage is already a hotbed of scapegoating,” she noted.)"

That just adds more to the picture of increasing mental stress -- which was what the three sentences I quoted focused on. What would you add, 1pg?

DB2
No. of Recommendations: 0
That just adds more to the picture of increasing mental stress -- which was what the three sentences I quoted focused on. What would you add, 1pg?

I think btresist added some depth to the subject. However, in this case, your excerpts were not egregiously misrepresentative. I, and others, have called you out in the past when they were.

However, clicking through to the Kaiser link and reading that it could be inferred -at least- that poor government response (most people feel it is poor) and rising unemployment (4 in 10 adults are worried about paying their bills) contribute to these feelings. These are significant stressors, not just existence of "the pandemic". I at least would have added that.
However, clicking through to the Kaiser link and reading that it could be inferred -at least- that poor government response (most people feel it is poor) and rising unemployment (4 in 10 adults are worried about paying their bills) contribute to these feelings. These are significant stressors, not just existence of "the pandemic". I at least would have added that.

At the same time, the high unemployment (not rising but declining as you read in the news today) is a result of "the pandemic". Back in January, before 'the pandemic', the unemployment rate was 3.6%, near all-time lows.

While we're talking about the economy, it should be noted that the US has been doing much better than the EU.

DB2
No. of Recommendations: 8
Today's Covid19 death toll (worldometer):

S. Korea: 1
Germany: 2
Japan: 7
USA: 1,258

This is a typical day. It is directly attributable to Trump's relentless stream of disinformation, manifest dereliction of duty, and active undermining of public health efforts at state and local levels. He has the blood of tens of thousands of Americans on his hands, as do his supporters and enablers.

What normal person wouldn't be depressed? Outraged?
No. of Recommendations: 18
Back in January, before 'the pandemic', the unemployment rate was 3.6%, near all-time lows.

He did so by adding Trillions of dollars to the National Debt. And even then trump still produced almost 2M fewer jobs than Obama did in his last three years of office. Obama-Biden was much better at job creation than the current administration. It isn't even close.

"Obama’s Last Three Years Of Job Growth All Beat Trump’s Best Year"
https://boards.fool.com/Post.aspx?mid=34583588&reply=tru...

While we're talking about the economy, it should be noted that the US has been doing much better than the EU.

Perhaps for investors in the stock market. On the other hand, US unemployment is over 10% while the EU is in the mid-7%. Europe's largest economy, Germany, is in the mid-6% range.

If you are the average worker, which economy do you think is doing better during the pandemic?
No. of Recommendations: 9
While we're talking about the economy, it should be noted.... that cherrypicker is ignoring that the orangefraud inherited a steadily improving economy and effing squandered it with a complicit GOP.
---
Perhaps for investors in the stock market.

That was in reference to GDP, not the stock market.

GDP levels in the EU this last quarter were 14.4% lower compared to Q2 2019.

For the US the decline was 9.5%.

14.4/9.5 = 1.52, over 50% worse.

European car sales fell by about 50% year-over-year. US sales fell by roughly one-third.

DB2
While we're talking about the economy, it should be noted.... that cherrypicker is ignoring that the orangefraud inherited a steadily improving economy....

Ah yes, that recovery. The one CNN identified as the slowest since WW2.

Yes, this is the slowest U.S. recovery since WWII
https://money.cnn.com/2016/10/05/news/economy/us-recovery-sl...
"In terms of the average pace of GDP growth, this is the slowest expansion on record," says Lakshman Achuthan, co-founder of the Economic Cycle Research Institute....

Economist Ed Yardeni of Yardeni Research put together over 20 pages of charts comparing this recovery to prior ones. He calls this "one of the weakest" recoveries, but he's hesitant to dub it the absolute worst once you look across a wide range of metrics.

DB2
GDP levels in the EU this last quarter were 14.4% lower compared to Q2 2019. For the US the decline was 9.5%.

Since the EU was hit by the pandemic earlier than the US is it surprising that its GDP will have been more greatly affected in the 2nd quarter?

But now look at this graph and ask yourself who has dealt with the pandemic better, trump or the EU? https://www.statista.com/chart/22102/daily-covid-19-cases-in...

In short, the data shows that US new infections have plateaued in July at over 2X the peak EU rate. Given that, what do you suspect the GDP comparison will show for the 3rd quarter?

Looks to me like the EU is in far better position for a real economic recovery than trump-land.

Trump really messed up and it is about time you admitted it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/business/europe-economy-r...
Trump really messed up and it is about time you admitted it.

If idle speculation about DrB is true, then he can't because Putin won't let him (or, rather, Putin will stop his checks).
GDP levels in the EU this last quarter were 14.4% lower compared to Q2 2019. For the US the decline was 9.5%.
---
Since the EU was hit by the pandemic earlier than the US is it surprising that its GDP will have been more greatly affected in the 2nd quarter?

Maybe. Does this mean you think the EU economy will grow/recover faster than the US for the rest of the year? We shall see.

DB2
In 2016 it is the ONLY time I ever had a reaction to an election. My candidates didn't always win, but this was the first time that I reacted like you had told me my mother died. It was like that for about a day when I heard Trump won.

This. I had strong feelings after the Bush years, after Reagan, but they were proportional for political change (more or less--I did have PTSD for years after Reagan's Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 1981). In 2016 though, I remember lying in bed crying, not sleeping until we had to get ready to go to the airport to fly to Jamaica, and it felt like a whole country looked at us with "What have you done?" on their faces.

I had followed Trump since he started showing up in "Doonesbury" years and years ago, in the "The Art of the Deal" years. Trudeau showed his landlord practices, crooked business practices, lechery, over-the-top greed and ostentatiousness, venality...even showed his Hunter Thompson-esque character "Uncle Duke" working with him. The idea that this cartoon character of a man could be our President was unimaginable. Until it happened.

cm
Does this mean you think the EU economy will grow/recover faster than the US for the rest of the year?

Yup. The US second quarter GDP benefitted from a $3T stimulus package that mostly ended July 31. The tax refunds and covid benefits have all been spent. US coronavirus infection rates have plateaued at levels well above those that led to the Q2 economic shutdown and we still haven't seen the consequences of events like Sturgis and school/college openings. Simply put, the US went through the pain of an economic shutdown for only a temporary respite. Things are worse now than before the shutdown.

Contrast that with the EU. They killed their economy in q1-q2 but because of good leadership they have been able to keep Covid cases in q3 well below levels seen before the shutdown. Things are better in Europe today than in April. Also because of good leadership, they have an economic stimulus plan for recovery in place.

Most of Asia is in an even better position than Europe, again largely because of good leadership.

trump is incompetent, the republicans are cowardly enablers, and it remains astounding that you are so incapable of expressing anything negative about trump.
We can get rid of Trump, but we can't get rid of those who support Trump at this point. That makes me incredibly sad.

If anything happened to my wife, I would begin plans to leave the country. I'm literally done with all of it. There are so many better, cheaper places to live in the world if you have a little money.
But most of them don't want Americans. You can't get an immigrant visa, or you have to put up a huge bond to cover medical since you haven't paid taxes in those countries and they have universal healthcare.
But most of them don't want Americans.

Wie gehts, y'all

Beginning Sept 1, people whose families were chased out of Austria by Nazis get to apply for free Austrian passports.
Beginning Sept 1, people whose families were chased out of Austria by Nazis get to apply for free Austrian passports.

Spain has a program for accelerated citizenship for former colonies. I could conceivably get in that way by marriage to 1poorlady (Filipina). But I would still have to gain initial entry to take advantage of that program, and that's not trivial. Especially for an American.

Face it. We've pretty much destroyed all the goodwill we had after WWII. In 1946 people loved us. Now people hate us, and deservedly so. Unless you're in a narrow group of people (like the Austria thing you mentioned), you're outta luck. I think a lot of folks want us to build a wall to keep us inside.
Unless you're in a narrow group of people (like the Austria thing you mentioned), you're outta luck.

I look forward to travelling again, but this time with a Reispass from the Republik Osterreich, not having to hand over a US Passport at a hotel desk and meekly declare, I didn't vote for Trump -honest!
Prevalence of Depression Symptoms in US Adults Before and During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Ettman et al.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle...
Findings:
In this survey study that included 1441 respondents from during the COVID-19 pandemic and 5065 respondents from before the pandemic, depression symptom prevalence was more than 3-fold higher during the COVID-19 pandemic than before. Lower income, having less than $5000 in savings, and having exposure to more stressors were associated with greater risk of depression symptoms during COVID-19.

DB2