No. of Recommendations: 1
Just read an article on Boston.com about how the current low interest rate environment is helping spenders, but hurting savings (especially retirees who were hoping to use interest income to live on).

http://www.boston.com/business/personalfinance/articles/2010...

According to the article, current national 6 month CD rate is 0.58% compared to over 5% in 2007.

I've done a little research, and the average 6 month CD rate of several online bank is 0.96%. (ING Direct, Everbank, ZionsDirect). Admittedly, this is a self selected list, and these are online accounts, which may not appeal to retirees.

Of course, with both Emigrant Direct and ING having savings rates at 1.2%, locking your money up for an additional 0.18% may not be worth it. On top of that, Emigrant's Dollar Savings Direct is currently yielding 1.50%.

I've done some additional research, and found that Everbank is offering 5 year CD's at 3.45% (although they have an 8.5% early withdrawal penalty).

I've used ING and ZionsDirect in the past. CD's at Zionsdirect are auction based, which may turn off some people (they also had the lowest rate of the three banks).

I've yet to use Everbank, although their world currency CD's have intrigued me for a few years.

Savings bonds are another option - I Bonds are currently yielding about 3.36%, although this amount changes over time with the level of inflation. You're also limited to $5,000 a year in purchases
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.