Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Oil prices keep plummeting towards my stated target of $35. Maybe even lower. Here is a newsreport that claims reduced oil consumption over the next 5 years:

http://www.rediff.com/money/2008/dec/08oil-consumption-forec...

IT seems as if investment in oil and metals will pay rewards only in long term now. 10+ years. I never could imagine the commodity prices heading towards yr 2000. It is almost as if the boom never existed. I just returned from a 3 wk trip to India. The prices of all construction materials and real estate are crashing rapidly. Almost all industries are sitting on excess capacities. Very similarly to the tech crash, a relentless demand in commodities and real estate was expected. Not anymore. It has taken 8+ years for the tech firms to stabilize and it will probably take another 5 years for significant growth to reappear. Commodities and real estate may see similar such 10-15 years cycle ahead to resume growth.

It was not long ago that I was critizing TMF for missing the commodity boom but now their approach of going after great firms rather than sectors seems so wise.

Anurag
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.