Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
...lower-earning spouse to take Social Security at 62 and the higher-earning spouse to wait until 70...

Step 2 is then for the lower-earning spouse to suspend own benefits, and switch to receiving 1/2 of spouse's when spouse starts collecting.
This is called "file and suspend," and the rules did change. You can now collect either on your own earnings record, or your spouse's, but not one then the other.

That much I was aware of. In our case, my benefit is about 1/2 of my spouses anyway, so it matters little.

But (if I understand correctly) if the higher earning spouse dies, then the lower earning spouse receives the spouses benefit as the survivor benefit.

An example to illustrate and confirm my understanding, for a same age couple.

If I received $1000/month benefit starting at age 62.
Wife received $3000/month benefit starting at age 70.

From age 70 on, we each collect our benefit for a total of $4000/month.

Case A:
If wife passes away at 72...
then I would receive $3000 a month until my death as survivor benefit

Case B:
If I pass away at 72...
then she would continue to receive $3000/month.

Correct?
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.