Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Patrick, I wonder if Limited Partnerships deserve a board of their own, or are they covered in the Dow Dividend Approach??

"An" Inquirer/"An" Asker/"An"Examiner

AnFool
Print the post Back To Top
Ann,

I don't believe LLP's are covered in the Dow Dividend Approach because technicaly, earning are from investment income and interest, not dividends. Hence the special tax status. As for a board of their own.....I think I would rather have them traded as they currently are as an equity. I like the broad exposure and would worry about thinly traded boards if they had their own.

I note that "AN" can be used as an: abbr., preferance, suffix and, when combined with a trailing "A" as a noun and an adverb. Where you ever by any chance called Ana?
Patrick

I took it that Ann was discussing a LP forum board rather than a separate trading market. I personally think it would be interesting to have a forum to discuss the tax and other ramifications that are unique to LP's and maybe also REIT"S. However , as it appears most of the discussion on here pertains to techs we might not bet a lot of activity.
Ann break the tie , am I off on a tangent??

Woody
Woody,
Perhaps you are right about that....hopefully Ann will let us know. LLP's have an overall bad reputation but as always, there are good one's as well as bad and i my opinion as long as you are already a holder, the more discussion about them as an investment vehicle, the better. I currently hold:
SSI
TOW
AEC
SLG
PCL
FRESX
LHP

Thanks for your thoughts.
Patrick & Woody,

I hope you'll forgive me. I'm truly sorry I stayed away so long. I have no real excuse...discovered the new women's page, then spent some time thinking up photo captions,(lost) then had to root for CSCO, (lost). All pretty unforgivable.

So, back to business. Yes, that's what I meant - an LP (what's the first/second "L" Patrick?) Forum board. I think there's a lot of ignorance out there about LPs...LLPs. Actually, there's a lot of ignorance inside AnFool's brain about them, especially on the tax aspect. Please explain?? And, while I'm showing my ignorance, I keep seeing the initials REIT all over MF. What's REIT??? And, ignorance #3; are all of those stocks you listed LLPs Patrick? I'll have to look them up,(an antidote to my viral ignorance). Anyway, I'm glad you think LPs/LLPs are worthy of their own forum. One or both of you should run it. My job will be to ask lots of dumb questions. Okay?

Someone called me Anna once...sounds the same but without all the grammatical innuendo. Many have called me Annie. It might be more amusing if it were spelled,"Aknee"...but, no. They'd be bound to mispronounce it, "Acne". Terrible.

Ana ana da da da dada,(song from Sesame Street.)
Ann,
A REIT is a Real Esdtate Investment Trust which is a basicaly a company that invests and frequently owns and operates a group or Real Estate holdings. They typicaly specialize in industry or geographic or both segments and like, LP's, distribute most of their earnings in tax advantaged capital distributions (although there is a bill in congress at present to eleminate some of those benefits....wht else is new.....). Some of the holdings I listeed are REITS such as SSI. FRESX is a Mutual that invests in REITS that has done fairly well returning about 35% annualy in the two years I have held it.
Don't think I am qualified to run a board concerning these types of investments, it would be great to find an "sxpert", perhaps someone from a fund, to `run it though!
Anna was also the sister of Dido who is credited as the founder of Carthage and was the daughter of Pygmalion's sister....to strech a point. There is a feast day celebrated in Italy in Anna's name on March 15 which, in Roman history is a rather infamous date.
Hey Fellas,

What do you think of the possibility of PCL becoming a REIT??

There is a feast day celebrated in Italy in Anna's name on March 15 which, in Roman history is a rather infamous date.

Patrick,
I was born on March 12...think there's a connection?

Ann
Ann

Still trying to figure out the answer to your question. Seems like the company has some spin that may allow them some additional access to capital and the ability to expand. For my part, I am concerned about the loss of tax avoidance on my dividend. Since I have not been a shareholder long enough to do a K-1(?) I'm not sure if I know what I'm talking about so I guess I'll just wait and see; particularly since I bought more PCL about 3 days before the announcement. Sorry for leaving you alone so long. My phone has been so lousy I've been connecting at about 300 baud. I am definitely not buying Ameritech this week!

Woody
Hi Woody!

Just got back from our yearly "escape AZ heat" trip yesterday. (It was just as hot up north as here this year...we were accused of bringing the heat with us...the nerve!)

It's good to hear from you again! : )

We visited our broker in MT while we were away. For what it's worth, he said PCL's changing to a REIT shouldn't make a bit of difference to its worth or our taxes...other than making them shorter and easier. Sounds good.

Ann
Well Ann, think they must be right as it has been wonderful in the midwest for the last week.. I just did a quick check and the yield on PCL is now 8.4% which beats the stuff out of the 30 year long bond. Wish I had a clue as to the safety of this dividend as I would love to have a boatload of 8.4% in my retirement nestegg. Wish there were more activity on this board and we could get some more informed commentary on this subject! Guess this has to be related to the Asian thing but I have to believe it will all pass in a couple of years!!! May take a flier on my own and dollar average down anyway.

Woody
<<I just did a quick check and the yield on PCL is now 8.4% which beats the stuff out of the 30 year long bond>>

Woody,

Thanks for calling my attention to this. Good! The Company is optimistic - couldn't be better.

Lumber is a great product in the northwest right now. They're building like crazy. Californians are on the move and seem to prefer new houses. Seems every wee knoll in Montana has a new "castle" plunked upon it.

Enjoy your company, but your right, we need more/varied input.

Ann