Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

< Dear Tax Gurus:
On my path to enlightenment and finacial bliss, I have come to a crossroad. I would like to make
my life easier by retiring in stages. I am under 59 1/2 and have been trying to understand the
exceptions to the 10% additional tax and the annuity distribution method. In figuring out my
minimum distribution, as part of the life expectancy method, I have looked up the division factors
for both single and joint survival. To make some decision regarding which factor and when, I hope
get some answers to these queries:
If I start the life expectancy method at 54 1/2, can I change the method at 59 1/2?
If the life expectancy method is IRS approved for a series of substantially equal periodic payments,
do these payments need to be annual or could they be every 8 months or some other less than one
year periodic payment?>

The way I understand the rules, once you choose a distribution method, you're stuck for five years or age 59 1/2, whichever is later...so you could change your payout option at 59 1/2.

Periodic payments could be monthly, weekly (hypothetically), or other periodic. If you're trying to get a higher payout, you might want to examine the amortization method. I know several folks who have used 8-10% amortization schedule over their life expectancy to increase payments. The caveat here is IRS private letter rulings which govern sec. 72-T.

Those are my thoughts...GDC
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.